Pushrods???

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Pushrods???

Post by dwg86 »

Well I installed the head on my stroker. Installed pushrod guide plates, studs and Crower rocker arm with the stock pushrods(I know I need hardened pushrods), just to see where things would fall out. The stock pushrods are WAYYYYYY too long, probably around 3/8 inch too long.

The picture has the rocker arm with the stock pushrod in the back. I am holding the other rocker arm where it needs to be. The roller is close to center on the valve stem. What gives?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Pushrods???

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

It looks like you have a spacer on the bolt on top of the rocker shaft? Don't know about yours but my Yella Terras had a spacer on top of the shaft when I took them out of the box. The spacer actualy goes on the bottom of the rocker, which would make it seem like the rods were too long if put on the top. Maybe yours are the same? :huh: Just an idea...
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

EDIT:

I see that they are stud mounted? If so then aren't they adjustable and shouldn't you be able to make up the difference with the adjusters? Just thinking out loud.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Yes they are stud mounted, but no you can't make up the difference with the adjusters. With adjusting the rocker to 1/2 turn after zero lash, the roller tip on the rocker is not centered on the valve stem. The rocker is contacting the valve tip away from the valve spring(to the right looking at the picture). This indicates the pushrod is too long.

I bought a pushrod checker today(comp cams 7704-1). After adjusting, I am showing I need a 9.400 pushrod. Do an internet search on "checking correct pushrod length". There are some good articles that explain correct pushrod length.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I ordered my pushrods today. I bought Trend pushrods. They are 5/16 x 9.350, 1 piece .080 wall, chrome-moly, guide plate compatable. $5.61 a piece for a total of $67.32 for 12 + shipping. Trend offers 5/16 pushrods from 6 to 10 inches long in .025 increments. I thought that was a reasonable price. They stock all lengths, so there is no need to wait for them to make the pushrods. Here is a link to thier catalogue.
http://www.trendperform.com/misc/TrendP ... og2008.pdf
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

So why didn't you get the 9.4" ones if they're available in .025 incs? Also I'm assuming those rockers are the reason why you need pushrods .2" shorter in the first place, cause decking the block ~.040", shaving the head___?, a thinner HG(maybe a dif of .010"), and maybe a smaller base circle on the cam___? subtracted from the original ~9.640" should have you in the high 9.5" range.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

After checking all the pushods, the 9.350 was the happy medium. I used a black sharpie to mark the tops of the valves, installed the rocker and adjustable pushrod. Turn the engine over to see where the roller was running on the valve tip.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Got the Trend pushrods yesterday. They look real nice...fast shipping. I would recommend them. I also bought a comp cams 7704-1 checking pushrod for $20.00. If you need to check pushrod length, I would say spend the 20.00 and buy one. It's an awesome tool. Trend also sells a checking pushrod.