New Guy, Looking into Stroker

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Itrium
Noob
Noob

New Guy, Looking into Stroker

Post by Itrium »

Ok. I tried posting on JU, but that place has turned into a cesspool. At least SF section has from the 5 years that have passed since I've been there. If you are hardcore JU followers, I'm sorry. I'm just a bit bitter that help for the 4.0 crowd is nonexistent.

Fellas, I am the type of person you hate the most. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANY OF THIS. Any responses you may have for me should be laid out like you're holding my hand and talking to me like I'm as stupid as possible. :stick:

I don't have ANY tools required for the job nor the budget for tools, so a machine shop will be required thru and thru.

Heres the details about me and the jeep:

I have an extensive background with jeeps. Doesn't mean I know what I SHOULD know about em though. :lol: The current jeep I have is the 4th one I've owned and I swear by em.

I have a '98 Cherokee that has a cracked engine block so either way I'm getting a new motor, I just prefer that it not be stock. 8-) It will be used as a daily driver and I might want to romp on it every once in a while. I will not be racing, mudding, or crawling. I may be towing every few months.

The main problems I face are not knowing EXACTLY what I need and why I need them plus my budget. From dino's webpage the 4.5l stroker looks good. The low budget 266hp version. Now I've read a bunch on threads on strokers from this webpage but EACH ONE has variations on the stroker. I don't mean that there are diff strokers that can be built, I know that. But there could be two strokers with the same specs but the machine work done to both is completely diff. I read one where the machinist read instructions backwards and almost screwed up the stroker. I wouldn't know to tell a machinist any of this. Ugh..

My budget is 3,000 MAX so I'm really afraid the only option I have is a stock crate motor which I will settle for if need be, but a stroker would be nice.

Hopefully this is enough info for you guys, if not just let me know and I'll try and be more specific. BTW, I live in Wichita, KS so if anyone knows any good machine shops then shout 'em out.

Thanks guys, this website is a godsend for this type of thing. :rockout:

Brian
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Re: New Guy, Looking into Stroker

Post by Itrium »

OH BTW, if anyone is from Wichita and looking at this, food and beer would flow freely.:)

I understand my post may scare a few of you off, but I'm not trying to waste anyone's time. I need to get this thing driving by February.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Do you have a spare block since the original is cracked? or do you plan to tear another engine down and build up from that?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

Am I that un-help-able?
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yeah, you haven't provided too much information. So you want to build a stroker on a 3K budget.

So far from what i can see, you need a block, crank, most likely rods, new pistons, bearings and gaskets. You haven't contributed to if you'd like to sneak by with your factory cam or aftermarket. You really need to be a little more "into" it in order for us to provide much help.

If you want to get buy cheap, just do the simple stroker with the 258 crank and rods, and stock bore, and re-use everything you can.

Besides, i've noticed the general trend is most people don't reply to posts on the weekends, i'd assume its because most are busy on the weekends, especially this close to x-mas
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

Mgardiner1 wrote:Yeah, you haven't provided too much information. So you want to build a stroker on a 3K budget.

So far from what i can see, you need a block, crank, most likely rods, new pistons, bearings and gaskets. You haven't contributed to if you'd like to sneak by with your factory cam or aftermarket. You really need to be a little more "into" it in order for us to provide much help.

If you want to get buy cheap, just do the simple stroker with the 258 crank and rods, and stock bore, and re-use everything you can.

Besides, i've noticed the general trend is most people don't reply to posts on the weekends, i'd assume its because most are busy on the weekends, especially this close to x-mas
Yeah sorry. I tried to make it as clear as possible that when I say I don't know exactly what I need, I meant it. Trust me I'm "into" it. Just not experienced in this field at all.

Yes, you're right about what I need. Everything. I can reuse most of the parts from the old engine (pans, etc..). Is it cheaper to buy a kit or shop around and piece it all together?

I'll try and do a little bit more research through the other threads. It's just a bit difficult when I"m literally starting from scratch. So finding what I want to ask and say doesn't come as easy as it does for you.

Thanks all the same so far.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Trust me my man, i understand, i was once on the steep side of the stroker learning curve as well. Having time constraints makes it more expensive.... i know that sounds weird, but if you are trying to make a deadline, you'll have to accept paying a higher premium to the first available parts you can find, rather then waiting for the "Yeah i'm cleaning out the garage, i got a 4.0 block for sale for $20"

It sounds like you need to start gathering the major components before you come up with a definite plan. Maybe you'll land a block thats already bored .030 over. Chances are, standard bore or not, its always a good idea to have a machinist mic up the bores and see if it needs to go to the next up bore size.

I recommend to you, get a block, get a 258 crank (don't worry about the versions of the 258 crank, you won't need a specific one for you since you don't have a specific application). You'll need some rods too. If your 4.0 cracked a block due to a connecting rod letting go, then i'd just as soon advise you to get a full set of con rods. If you stick with the stock 4.0 rods, you'll need either custom pistons, or KB944 keith black pistons (more expensive then standard pistons). If you end up with a set of 258 rods, you will be looking to use stock 4.0 pistons.

So get a block, crank, and rods first.
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

A block I can procure easy as pie. There's a bunch of wrecked jeeps and salvage yards in and around Wichita, KS. Check.

FInding a 4.2l engine for the rods and crank I can do. Check. Problem is, is there a way a noob like me can see if everything is SOUND BEFORE I take it to a machinist? It would suck to buy stuff up and find out its crap because I'm too wet behind the ears to know any better.

I understand to look for a '96 or later block due to um...ribs for her pleasure? Or something. :lol:

But here's my plan for this thread. I'll update as I get parts. I'd like to start with the basics, let you guys know what I have and have done, and go from there.

Oh, and sorry about the impatience. It's part excitement, part necessity I suppose.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

i understand the excitement. Thats why i paid a higher premium for most of my parts because i "could not wait" to get the motor together and into my YJ.

Seek some assistance from your machinist about a crank too, a lot of times they have something laying around, or would know where to get one from....

As far as rotating group (crank, rods, pistons), usually they are ok unless a rod is hanging out of the side of the engine block. A lot of times too, if a piston goes bad, or the engine suffered from lack of lubrication, the machinist should be able to clean up the crank and grind it to an acceptable diameter
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

If you want to get away cheap and quick, they have 4.6 strokers on Ebay for less than 2K. You will have shipping charges, and maybe a core charge, but you should still be under your 3 K budget. You could probably sell the HO head for a few dollars, but you will have some cost for larger injectors.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

I found those, but are you aware of the reputations of the stroker sellers on ebay? One is PowerTrain products or something.

On one hand the prospect of building and learning excites the honk out of me. On the other, due to time constraints this is an attractive option only if they are actually good motors.

Shots in the dark are scary for a reason.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Go to the "Projects" forum and check out some of the stroker builds there. I know mine has pretty much all the parts listed for the short block.. the link is in my sig. You can probably re use dyour old head so a 3 angle valve job plus new valve seals will be in order on it. Also check out the http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=27
Itrium
Noob
Noob

Post by Itrium »

Thank you all.

SilverXJ I will check that out.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

I replied to your thread in JU Speed Freaks. I only just realised that your block is cracked and your engine isn't rebuildable, so I suggest you look for a decent used junkyard 4.0 long block and have it rebuilt in the manner that I described.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

Shop around on machine shops too. Look for the ones that WILL give you the time of day, and make you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Youll probly spend a large part of your budget in machine work. My machine shop called me a few times when they realized certain part combos wouldnt work for my application rather than just throwing it together. Take things one step at a time, and I would advise on buying parts until you know all aspects of the build, lest you buy something you dont want but then have to design your whole build around an unwanted part.

Its also going to be really important that you make some guidlines for the build. What will be your dirving force? A strict budget or hp goals? It will dictate what you need for your engine, and what you can afford (financially and responsibly)
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4