Need cam selection assist.

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
crustodd
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Need cam selection assist.

Post by crustodd »

Hey Jeepers,
I am getting parts together for my build. The Crane cam I wanted is out of stock 'till who knows when. It was #753941 .484/512. lift, 216/228 degree duration. I was basing it on my engine being somewhat close to the Four Wheeler stroker build last year. I am running a big-valve ported and polished head, 30-60 over KB pistons, new manifold, 62mm TB, #24 ford injectors, 4.0 rods, YT RR's. I use it for DD and sand/trail use. I almost always burn premium. I will be tuning it with UniChip. What cam do you guys recommend??? This is the last part (other than the corresponding lifters) that I need.

Thanks
T~
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Need cam selection assist.

Post by SilverXJ »

You do know that you have 12 threads started on the first page alone? You really need to do some research on your own.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

C'mon Chris, all he wants is someone to spend his money and figure it out for him and then build it for him..... :smack:

And to answer the question posted. Why don't you read some good long articles about LSA, IVC, duration, ramp speed, etc etc, and what their effects are on torque curve and engine breathing.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Call Reed or Engle. They can help. www.reedcams.com www.englecams.com Niether list a jeep 6 cylinder cam on their web site but they do grind them.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

If you are looking for something close to the crane specs...
Reed cam-intake [email protected] 218 / .491 lift
exh dur@ .050 228 / .512 lift

Engle cam-intake [email protected] 214 /.501 lift
exh [email protected] 224 / .538 lift
The crane cam was probably ground with 112 degree lobe seperation. You could have 4 degree advance ground into the cam.

I am not suggesting either of these grinds. I am just matching up to the crane specs. Personally I think the difference between the intake and exhaust is too large on the crane cam. You will be bleeding off a lot of cylinder pressure. Not good for low end torque.
Do some research(yahoo,Google) on split lift/duration cams compared to single lift/duration cams. Call the experts, and ask some questions. You can also check out Lunati. They have some VooDoo cams for the Jeep 6.