Noob Stroker Help!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
crustodd
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Noob Stroker Help!

Post by crustodd »

Hi Guys,
I am new to THIS forum. I am kickin' around the stroker route. If I go to building the short block, can you guys recommend a SPECIFIC recipe of parts (casting numbers?) I am fortunately busy with my own business, so I have to pay someone else to do this. I have located some competent individual to do the head work and the short block. If I am using a 258 crank and rods, what prep should be done? Are stock Jeep 4.0 pistons good , or should I use something a bit better from the after market? What about cost effective methods of strengthening the bottom end. This is my DD and I mostly use it in the sand if I'm off road. Are Ford 24 lbs injectors the best choice? Has anyone used after market engine management? MegaSquirt, FAST, Weber, etc... I understand that this allows for fine tuning and give the advantage of sequential firing instead of batch firing. My engine already has an MSD off-road coil, wires and brain, ported TB, Yella Terra RR's, Thorley header, cold air intake, Flowkooler H2O pump.

Thanks, and I will place this on the general forum too.

Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

crust1
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Noob Stroker Help!

Post by Muad'Dib »

I created a new thread with your post in it. Please dont hijack other peoples threads when you have questions not related to their topic.

Thanks!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

See here for some part numbers: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=444

Check out the FAQs for casting numbers (subforum of this one)

As for pistons, with the 258 rods you have two choices, aftermarket 4.0L pistons which only come in cast and hypertunetic, or custom pieces. If you use the longer 4.0L rods you have the choices of the KB644 or 645 or a custom piston. Also, Oleshot on here dishes pistons to bring down the compression ratio. As far as engine management I think someone on here uses Megasquirt for a turbo'd stroker. If you don't have experience with aftermarket management its not for the faint of heart.. if this is your first time and its a daily driver don't try it. Other options are a piggy back tuner such as a FTC1, or SMT6, or an Apexi SAFC to adjust the fuel curves. Of course you will want a wide band O@ sensor setup to adjust the curves correctly. 24lb injectors seem to be the best bet. I have ran 26lb injectors and ran rich. What year / model is this going in to?
crustodd
Donator
Donator

Post by crustodd »

Hey Silver,
My XJ is a '94. As far as the after market management goes, I'd like to be able to tune it in 50-100 rpm increments for the A/F ratios and the advantage of the sequential injector firing.

Todd
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Todd, what is your goal for estimated HP/TQ? The injection system you are thinking about is extremely overkill for a daily driver. Are you planning on running a boosted stroker?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
crustodd
Donator
Donator

Post by crustodd »

I am hoping to make power on the scale of COMANCHE91. I live close to UniChips headquarters, so if I can score a 2000 and up intake, I'll be goin' there for some chip'n. I mostly use it as a DD, but when I take it off-road, it's in the sand, so I don't really use it for crawlin'.

T~
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

Check out the project threads, you will get a lot of ideas there. As mentioned above, the FAQ section here has a good list of part numbers and such. If you want the same engine as someone, buy it! No need for megasquirt. Gradon is in the process of tuning his, I believe hes using PSC-1 and an Innovative LM-2 wideband o2.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

If you live close to Unichip, then it may be a good idea for you to go that route. Unichips use to cost a lot more, but they have come down and are a decent product. Only thing is that you can't tune it yourself.