New to the stoker scene howdy

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Krissmith4.0tbucket

New to the stoker scene howdy

Post by Krissmith4.0tbucket »

Hey y'all my name is Kris. New to the stroker scene but not new to jeep 4.0s I have a 90 and a 96 xj 4.0. And I just picked up a 89 mode year engine that I have torn down due to rod knock. I want to build it into a stoker for my model t I'm building. Like I said I'm new here and wanted to introduce my self and see what people have as far as beginner basics for building a stroker.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: New to the stoker scene howdy

Post by jsawduste »

Hi Kris,
There is a lot of information in FAQ section of the forum.

Quench and valve spring pressure two of the key items to look for. There are more but you will be miles ahead if you follow the rules of the basic foundation.

Chris, Dino or Russ will correct me on the dimension but I avoid the RENIX blocks as the deck height is a little lower then the later 4.0 blocks. Which means the pin height of the piston has to be slightly different. Not a big factor and there are several work around plans but it is a consideration when choosing blocks/pistons.

Look around, search a bit and ask questions.

Let it be known that there is a lot of misleading information on the web about strokers. One of the few places you will find solid info is right here.
Krissmith4.0tbucket

Thank you and I will use the renix one because it was free and two because I have become really comfortable with the renix system. If it causes more issues in the build so be it. I will keep that in mind though thank you
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

Krissmith4.0tbucket wrote:Hey y'all my name is Kris. New to the stroker scene but not new to jeep 4.0s I have a 90 and a 96 xj 4.0. And I just picked up a 89 mode year engine that I have torn down due to rod knock. I want to build it into a stroker for my model t I'm building. Like I said I'm new here and wanted to introduce my self and see what people have as far as beginner basics for building a stroker.
OK, so you want to build up a Renix 4.0 and use the Renix ECU to control the spark & fueling.
What's your budget and what's your goal for your stroker build?
Are you willing to consider changing some components to add performance e.g. HO head, '99+ intake manifold, HO throttle body, aftermarket header, 2.5" exhaust?
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Krissmith4.0tbucket

Ok the plan is take the renix block a 258 crank and head to the machine shop get it all situated. But here's the thing j know the basics about stoking but not the parts I need. Id like to stick with as much renix parts as I can as I have them and trying to keep it fairly low budget. I know I need a 258 crank for a serp set up as its shorted and requires less machining and 5.875? Rods. I'll need new Pistons and a cam shaft. I was going to stick with the renix intake and run 24# injectors. A guy I know on another forum built one this way. I just need to define a clear plan of action so I can get this off to the shop
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

If you have a set of 258 rods and looking to do this on a budget, I'd
recommend using one of my CNC modified Silvolite 2229 Pistons.
Depending on chosen head gasket thickness, you'll need to deck the block with the Pistons somewhere between zero and a positive .008 deck. Pistons come in 22, 24, and 26cc reverse mirror domes.
Krissmith4.0tbucket

Ok so I should get the crank and rods from the same 258 and then get some CNc cut Pistons. I'll be using stock renix Ecu and 24# injectors. I'm assuming that the machinist will deck the block any way but I will inform them when I take it in that I will need to be done.