I need a help in my 4.6L XJ 98

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
UAEbiz
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Cherokee
Vehicle Model: XJ

I need a help in my 4.6L XJ 98

Post by UAEbiz »

I have a 4.6L with the following:-

1) 68 throttle
2) K&N air filter
3) 3 inch rough country suspension
4) 16 inch alloy wheel
5) Flowmaster exhaust
6) Center force clutch
7) The modulator been enhance with 140 a (Grand Cherokee’s modulator)
8) Raditor modified 25% extra capacity

You can see it in the below youtube url it’s the blue one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EEQMKpDJD8

In my place the advice I am getting is to go nitrous (NX or NOSS) but I am looking for something that will remain in power all the time. Something that if I do it will give me 30 to 50 horse power extra appreciate any advice??????

my email is [email protected]

:doh:
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: I need a help in my 4.6L XJ 98

Post by Cheromaniac »

Welcome to the board. :cheers:
Are you located in Abu Dhabi? I'm 160km away in Al Ain.
I don't understand what you mean with
The modulator been enhance with 140 a (Grand Cherokee’s modulator)
Did you have the intake manifold opening enlarged to match the 68mm throttle body bore?
Which intake manifold are you using?
Are you using a K&N filter inside the stock airbox?
Can you tell us what parts went into your 4.6 stroker?

Some more details about your engine would be very helpful.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Never heard an alternator referred to as a modulator. You might be able to find additional power if you get it tuned correctly(not sure about 50hp, but Don saw a great gain in power from Hesco tuning the Unichip piggyback). Other than a proper tune, you'd get gains like that and more from forced induction(supercharger or turbo), but that all depends on how high your compression is from how you built your stroker. Ideally you would have built the engine with forged components and low compression if you were planning to super/turbo-charge it.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Also what are your tire size and axle gear ratios?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
UAEbiz

Post by UAEbiz »

Hi Cheromaniac,
I am located in Sharjah, Sorry I meant alternator :). Yes my intake is matching the throttle, I am using the intake Jeep 2001 the new shape. What you mean about inside the stock airbox. To be honest I do not know what parts inside my stroker its been ordered from http://www.quadratec.com. Since you are located in UAE this is my Mobile number 0506322326

Hi Gradon,
Sorry as you mentioned it is alternator and as you are ware in the Cherokee the modulator is build in the computer but I have fixed it out close to the alternator by extending the wire and bypass the computer. I am thinking about turbo but not that much expert in it I have bought the engine as it is. Which type on Turbo you suggest?? and what other elements need to be align. (my car is based on low compression)

this is my engine http://www.quadratec.com/products/51107_50X_PG.htm

Hi IH392,
My tire size is 285/75 with the standard gear ratios, I have only modified the clutch (Center force). Tires are big but so so light the same is my alloy wheels.

Gentlemen, I have two days either I found a solution to modify my car with better performance or sold it out (I got a very attractive offer around US$13,700) and get start again with a new project 5.3L and higher! Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Golen's stroker engines are pretty good so you should have plenty of power, but I suspect that the bigger tires are not allowing enough of that power to reach the ground. If your stock axle gears are 3.07's, you can swap in the 3.55's from an automatic XJ. Shouldn't be hard to find at the scrapyards in Sharjah.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
UAEbiz

Post by UAEbiz »

Cheromaniac wrote:Golen's stroker engines are pretty good so you should have plenty of power, but I suspect that the bigger tires are not allowing enough of that power to reach the ground. If your stock axle gears are 3.07's, you can swap in the 3.55's from an automatic XJ. Shouldn't be hard to find at the scrapyards in Sharjah.

Thanks but this will kill my speed in desert!
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I'm assuming the wheels you have the 285/75s on are 16", thus almost a 33" tire. In the Jeep world, the gears you'd be running would be 4.10s(some even go 4.56). I seriously doubt that you come anywhere near topping out 5th in the desert. Heck, my 4.6 on a straight stretch of highway could barely hit 140 and that is on 27" tires and 3.55 gears. Maybe you're hitting the 114mph limiter? Did you change out your speedo gear when you put that wheel/tire combo on? If I drove your Jeep, it'd feel like I was starting in 3rd gear. Anyhow, you'll love the power of your stroker if you are geared properly.
UAEbiz

Post by UAEbiz »

gradon wrote:I'm assuming the wheels you have the 285/75s on are 16", thus almost a 33" tire. In the Jeep world, the gears you'd be running would be 4.10s(some even go 4.56). I seriously doubt that you come anywhere near topping out 5th in the desert. Heck, my 4.6 on a straight stretch of highway could barely hit 140 and that is on 27" tires and 3.55 gears. Maybe you're hitting the 114mph limiter? Did you change out your speedo gear when you put that wheel/tire combo on? If I drove your Jeep, it'd feel like I was starting in 3rd gear. Anyhow, you'll love the power of your stroker if you are geared properly.

Thanks Goradon, lets clarify two things,

1) I am using this car mainly 70% for Desert and 30% for Road (as much as I can I would love to maintain the road speed but always I should watch the impact in my Desert performance)
2) For the last 7 months I changed my tire size 3 times till I reach to this one (Michelin LTX) where it is big, light and quality.

To be honest, I do not have any clue about Jeep Gear ratio and how to adjust that. Do you mean to change my Gear or other part of my car!? Appreciate your elaboration! In the clip I past here-above all the cares are modified with Turbo, Supercharge and Stroker!
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Manual transmission Jeeps mostly came with 3.07 gears in the axles(not the ratios in the transmission) and ~28" tires; automatics generally came with 3.55 gears. As you increase your tire size, you decrease the effective axle ratio. Most offroad Jeepers will regear both of the axles with 4.10 gears for 32-33" tires, and 4.56 gears for 35" tires. You will have better acceleration(due to torque multiplication), gas mileage, and more control offroad in lower gears if your axles had 4.10 gears. As you sit now, your engine is putting more effort to get you moving from a stop, and as I said before, your 1st gear is now effectively a 2nd-3rd gear with those 33" tires and 3.07 axle ratio. You will love the 4.10s or 4.56s(especially if you ever plan to go to a larger tire).