Connecting rod orientation

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
MapleDitch

Connecting rod orientation

Post by MapleDitch »

Hi, I was just about to press my pistons to my rods and noticed the rods are not symmetrical. The piston end of the rod has a square side and a circular side.
Anyone know which side is to face the front of the engine? Or does it even matter so long as all 6 are facing the same way?

258 707 casting rods BTW. Thanks in advance
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Connecting rod orientation

Post by SilverXJ »

The oiling hole on the big end of the rod, where the cap meets the rod, points toward the camshaft.
MapleDitch

Post by MapleDitch »

Thank you!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

Just for kicks and giggles, how long would the motor last if they were installed backwards? I had the machine shop press on the pistons but I installed them with the arrow on the piston pointing forward. They are KB945 so as long as the machine shop was competent and installed the D-shapped dish properly then should I be okay?
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't know. I am unsure if the oiling is necessary as Clevite bearings don't even have the provision to let the oil through. King bearings do though. I've heard its to lube the cam and cylinder walls. Not sure about the cylinder walls though.
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

they teach us in school its to oil the cylinder walls. but with that angle, im not sure either.
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

I have King main bearings and Clevitte rod bearings. The crankshaft came with King main and rod bearings but, correct me if I'm wrong, the 258 main bearings don't work on the 242 block.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

That is correct. The 258 main bearings won't work on the 242 block.
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

The main bearings depend on what year the 4.0 block is, '87 -'90 blocks do use the same bearings as the 199, 232 and 258.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

So the bottom line is that I need not worry if they rods are oriented properly?
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

look for the tiny notch in the rod, and point that at the cam. better to be safe than sorry.
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Heck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by Heck »

The machine shop pressed my pistons (kb 944's) on backwards because the generic instructions that came with the pistons were wrong. I mounted the rods in the correct orientation with the pistons backward. There was barely any difference in the dish shape anyway. No problems after 35,000 miles. More specifically, no cam failure.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

I noticed that the shape of the "D" contradicted the direction of the arrow pointing forward. I installed the arrows forward. The dish is shallower than most so I hope that even if they are installed backwards it will still not damage anything. Why is it "D" shaped anyway? How does it improve anything (air/fuel mixing, side forces, combustion efficiency...)?

edit: I should note that I have KB945 pistons.
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

the D shape should line up roughly with the combustion chamber in the head, and the high part will line up with the flat part of the head. this is so that the mixture is directed at the spark plug. also why hemis have the spark plug in the middle, and no flat spots, just a big soup bowl.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

So if I did install the pistons reversed how adverse of an effect will it have on my performance? The dish is quite shallow on the KB 945.