Comp Cams beehive springs

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Comp Cams beehive springs

Post by lafrad »

in my search for valvesprings that are affordable for the increased lift of the Crower Cam I have (Compu-pro level 2 - 44243) ... I have run across a few roadblocks... nothing is really available for "affordable" prices to be able to use the stock 3 groove valves.

So, with some cross referencing, and researching... I have actually run across an idea: the Comp Beehive springs that are designed for the Ford 4.6L motors http://www.compperformancegroupstores.c ... y_Code=BEE . they have the same "stock" retainer ID.. (0.625-0.638), have an installed height that is really close (1.550 @ 95-ish lbs) and a spring rate that is "low"... under 200# per inch. this means, at the 1.640 stock install height, we are looking at 80-85 lbs valve seat pressure, and at the max compressed height of 1.200, we are in the 160-190 # range. For the cam I'm running and the RPM I'm expecting, Its really looking like those specs will do well. The springs are REALLY lightweight and are designed for lots and lots of RPM on the 4.6 motors, and if I have *real* trouble with float, I can shim the springs up quite a bit.

The only "modification" that needs to be done, is the valve spring seat needs to be turned down to about 0.725 diameter. There are plenty of tools out there for that, and/or a machine shop should be able to do it with a small amount of effort.

Question is... am I thinking along the wrong lines of thought with these springs? I will basically be using stock locks and retainers with this new spring...
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Re: Comp Cams beehive springs

Post by Bodo »

which cam are you going with? Those specs sound alot like the stock springs.

installed height: 1.6400" (41.656 MM), 202-218# @1.2160", 71-79# @ 1.6400"
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

ignore that first question..Reading comprehension, FTW
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Yea, i would be using stock springs if they had been suggested that they can handle the extra little bit of lift, but its not there.

This way I can get a spring that is designed for more abuse than a stock application, with just slightly higher-than-stock pressures... for what I do with it (RARELY to 5000 rpm) they should do VERY well and keep a lot of stress off the flat tappets.....
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

I ordered a set of those comp springs. They are REALLY small and wimpy compared to the stock Jeep springs.

I'm not sure it's such a great idea. We're looking at OHC modular Ford and our old Jeep tractor engines. Light-weight rotating assy vs not all that light rotating assy.
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

seems like the springs have less work to do in an ohc motor vs cib as there is less total mass in the valvetrain. just a thought ...
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

I agree that the valvetrain in a mustang is lighter than ours...
but it can rev much higher, and is often abused much more than anything I can do with it :)

I would also expect the OHC to have more aggressive cam lobes (especially for aftermarket cams) than the slgihtly "wamed over" hydraulic flat tappet I get to use.. :-)

Any way it works, if I have to shim them up to control any high rpm float, I can get them to good pressure well before coil bind... and still have good spring control from the beehive design :)

I'll let ya know how it goes :)