starting

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L

starting

Post by shockcocker04 »

ok so i went to start my 4.7 stroker today for the first time and it cranks but does not fire up. randomly while cranking it will back fire. my oil pressure gauge reads nothing while cranking, it may be bad :huh: but i'm kind confused, any first checks i should do?

thanks guys
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: starting

Post by SilverXJ »

Makes sure that the distributor is installed correctly and that you aren't 180* out. It needs to me installed at TDC on the compression stroke. Make sure you have fuel, in fact purge the fuel rail of air using the test port. Prime the engine first to ensure you have oil to the top. I usually prime it with the valve covers off until I see that every rocker has oil coming from the push rod. Then I close it all up with the exception on the spark plugs and the fuel pump relay. Then I spin it over with the starter until the oil pressure gauge reads pressure. Drop the plugs in, the relay and fire it.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

mine is in a 2001 wrangler so i dont have a dizzy, i have a csp sensor. does it still need to be at top dead center and if so, does the csp sensor automatically adjust? i noticed air coming from the fuel rail as i did check for fuel, i will purge that. im not a 100% sure if i have spark, i have the coil pack rail so its hard to tell? anything else?

thanks bryan
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Judging from your questions your cam sensor is installed 100% wrong. Yes, you need to find TDC, then put a toothpick through the senor housing in to the corresponding hole in the vane. Then alignt he oil pump drive and drop the sensor housing in with where the plug would pointing reward.

See here: http://motorage.search-autoparts.com/mo ... rticle.pdf
Jeep4xb4u
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: XJ 2dr
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by Jeep4xb4u »

Thats a lot of info there. Makes this All Data look wimpy. Heres some more if needed. Theres also a plethora of other write ups on how to properly index your dizzy.

P.S.
To all, i have full access to All Data up until 2006. Let me know what you need.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
88' XJ 2dr
4.0l / AW4 / NP231 / D35c
6.5" Long Arm Lift - 33x12.5's - 15x8 Mickey's

Currently working on 4.6l / D44 Swap
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

i dident mean to sound rude, that makes sense. those thinks did not work for me. Can you elaborate just a tad on the whole tooth pick thing :smack:

thank you
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

1)Take off the grey cap off the sensor housing
2) There is a hole in the side of the pulse ring and a hole in the sensor body. You lines those holes up then put a tooth pick through them. It will remoain like this until you clamp it down ion the block.
3) Remove the spark plugs
4) Put finger in spark plug #1 hole.
5) Rotate engine over until you feel or hear pressure, that is then the compression stoke
6) Rotate the engine until the mark on the harmonic balancer is lined up with the 0* mark on the timing cover. If you over shoot the mark, back up at least 20* then line it up again.
7) If you haven't primed the engine with the oil pump do it now before the sensor is installed.
8) Put the sensor housing into the engine block, rotating the sensor housing so it engages the cam gear and seats correctly. Install it in such a way that the plug on the sensor points toward the rear of the engine.
9) If the senors housing stops before it is fully seated in the block, take it out and roate the oil pump to line it up with the drive on the housing.
10) Install clamp, tighten down to spec
11) install grey sensor/cap
12) plug sensor in.
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

worked like a charm, started right up. is it normal for it to smoke a little? and is it normal for my .450 lift mopar cam to be a little choppy? anything else i should look for? also it has a hard time idling sometimes right at start up?

thanks guys, and silverxj alot
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Smoke could be from oil burning off the exhaust, normal. initial start will be a little rough.

Did you run the cam break in procedure?
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

yea i ran 2500rpms for 20 mins, and my oil pressure was pretty high with my high volume oil pump.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Good deal :cheers:
shockcocker04
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by shockcocker04 »

yup, its running great. it seems that my computer is compensating pretty well :rockout: