Hello and help!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Red91XJ

Hello and help!

Post by Red91XJ »

Hello, I've been a lurker here for a little while now, doing some reading here and on a few other forums. I've been getting this stroker in the works now for a couple months, my original 91 4.0 in my XJ has been getting a little tired lately, got some clatter going on and what not, so I figured get this thing built while it's still going before it explodes on me!

I had thought I had everything worked out, got my parts list, machine work etc. So now I had to start gathering. I went to my local Jeep boneyard and searched around until I found a nice little block out of a 99 XJ. The engine code starts with 805MX, so I figured that I had the right thing and didn't even look at the casting number... :doh: so here's my big oops moment along with some questions. The casting number ends with 449...I noticed when I was disassembling the thing. I was under the impression that only the WJ got the 449 in 99, and I also thought the XJ didn't even get that casting number?? Is this possibly some alteration of the other 449, like the 96-99 heads having the whole for the legacy temp sender and others don't, but same number? And if I did screw up, what all is needed to fit this thing in my 91 XJ engine bay?
stroked'73
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wagoneer

Re: Hello and help!

Post by stroked'73 »

Are you just using the block? If so, it should go right in. If for some reason the motor mounts are different, the bosses for yours should still be there. It's the same block basically.
Or are you using the head and all from the 99 so you can still drive while you build the stroker?
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 4.6L basic stroker, Q-jet/Offy dualport, Comp 68-231, .043" HG, 9.79 scr/8.56 dcr, crappy quench
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

94 and 2000 4.0s share the same motor mounts. I ASSuME a 91-99 would as well

I did a swap, dropped right in.
If wasn't a complete engine I would have had to find the later model PS bracket for the 2000 intake.

If you don't have the provision for the temp sender in the head use a later model thermostat housing that has the sender hole there, lengthen the wire and you should be good to go.

If not using the 2000 intake, ignore the rest of this.
Make sure you have your fuel lines secured if your are switching to the 2000 intake manifold, the location is a bit different, I made a bracket out of some scrap steel.
Your vacuum lines and sensors on the intake will be in different locations, I didn't have to lengthen any wire on the intake sensors or lengthen any vacuum lines but I did move things around a bit from stock locations.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Red91XJ

Post by Red91XJ »

Oh ok, this is good news, my buddy and I had come up with the same conclusion that since I have a short block, it won't be any more dramatic than any other year. :mrgreen: