To Cam or not to cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

To Cam or not to cam

Post by StroktWJ »

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum and see a wealth of knowledge, so I'm hoping I can help some people out along with further my project.

I have a 00WJ that I am building a 4.6L stroker for, I almost have the short block buttoned up but wonder about the valve train. I have 3 cam choices and was hoping for some opinions.

00 cam
188/192 @ 50
.408/.414

94 cam
197 @ 50
.424 lift

or ordered a Comp 68-232-4
206/212 @ .050
.460/.476

The vehicle will be my second vehicle so not driven daily, I have also heard of people using a Mopar Magnum valve springs or an LS beehive spring? What needs to be done to the head to use the LS spring as I know these are taller, or what would need to be done to run the Magnum spring? I have a set of LS beehives but I am yet to mach anything up yet. The WJ will also remain EFI.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker.
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe
mendelmax
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Re: To Cam or not to cam

Post by mendelmax »

The thing is what do you want to achieve with this engine- huge torque on low revs, high power, flat torque curve etc.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

if you are ending up with a high static compression ratio, just find the cam that gets your dynamic compression ratio down to somewhere between 8.0 and 8.4-ish :1

This will let you run on pump gas. the shorter duration cams will support more low-end torque... but they also increase the dynamic compression. its a balancing act.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

Im fairly positive youre stuck with the stock cam as the cam retention system was changed in 99. I think you can modify it somehow to fit older and aftermarket cams, so I would look into that.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

seanyb505 wrote:Im fairly positive youre stuck with the stock cam as the cam retention system was changed in 99. I think you can modify it somehow to fit older and aftermarket cams, so I would look into that.
you can use a cam for the earlier engines you just need the timing set, cam bolt, spring and pin to go with it. Thats what I am in the process of doing right now.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

Yeah I thought you would need other stuff to make it work.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
StroktWJ
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Post by StroktWJ »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:
seanyb505 wrote:Im fairly positive youre stuck with the stock cam as the cam retention system was changed in 99. I think you can modify it somehow to fit older and aftermarket cams, so I would look into that.
you can use a cam for the earlier engines you just need the timing set, cam bolt, spring and pin to go with it. Thats what I am in the process of doing right now.

Yes that is correct I ended up using the 94 cam with earlier timing set, cam bolt & pin.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - 4.6L Stroker.
#727 Crank
Clevite 3415 Pistons
91-95 Camshaft
7120 Head
00 Intake
Magnaflow Muffler
Offroad Pipe