Swapping heads - what can I reuse etc?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
stroked'73
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wagoneer

Swapping heads - what can I reuse etc?

Post by stroked'73 »

I've just aquired a 95 head for my stroker (currently a renix motor). I'm going to strip it, maybe hot-tank it and do some mild porting/smoothing.
I need to keep this project on the cheap, so here are my questions regarding disassembly/reassembly:

1) What can be reused, i.e. rockers, guides, keepers, etc.?

2) What needs to be kept in order and doesn't need to be when I take it apart?

If I replace anything, I was thinking only pushrods and springs (stock springs) cause these are fairly inexpensive, but if the current ones are good, I'll probably keep 'em.

Also, do the valvetrain components swap from the renix head to the HO head? Are the valves the same as well?

Thanks!
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 4.6L basic stroker, Q-jet/Offy dualport, Comp 68-231, .043" HG, 9.79 scr/8.56 dcr, crappy quench
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Re: Swapping heads - what can I reuse etc?

Post by Alex22 »

If you don't want to have a valve job done on the HO head then number the valves (engraver works best) so they go back in the same guide they came out of. Chances are that the guides are still good, if they need to be replaced you will need a valve job. If you do reuse the stock or replace them the retainers and keepers can be reused; don't bother numbering those when you disassemble. Inspect the rocker arms for wear the ones that came off my donor engine (98K miles) were still good and I have seen some lower mileage stuff with large wear ridges on the pivot points.

Not sure if the renix parts will work on the HO.
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.
stroked'73
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wagoneer

Post by stroked'73 »

Cool! So basically the important area on the rockers to look at is where they contact the valves - make sure that part is still relatively smooth? Do the rockers need to be kept on their original cylinders?
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 4.6L basic stroker, Q-jet/Offy dualport, Comp 68-231, .043" HG, 9.79 scr/8.56 dcr, crappy quench
Alex22
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Alex22 »

Also check the pivot point at the center of the rocker arm for wear. I would number the arms and connecting bars.
The enemy of good thing is wanting something better.