Remove Engine for Stroker build?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
glennsea

Remove Engine for Stroker build?

Post by glennsea »

I guess you can tell from the question that I am a newby! I have an 88 YJ with a 4.2 L and an 05 Unlimited Rubicon. I am currently removing the 4.2L to do a V8 install on the YJ so was kicking around the idea of using the parts from the YJ to do a mild stroker on my 05.

The 05 only has 30,000 miles on it. I am assuming that I would have to remove the engine from the 05 in order to build the stroker but wanted to check with the experts first.

Is it possible to get it done without removing the engine?
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Re: Remove Engine for Stroker build?

Post by lafrad »

engine has to come out.

you should run a bottle brush in the cyl bores to get a new crosshatch, get new rings.

have a machine shop turn the crank, clean up the rods from the 4.2L. re-use stock pistons.

new bearings, and a gasket set. Probably can leave the stock cam and reuse the stock head... sounds relatively simple :)
Brandon_K
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Brandon_K »

Aye, the motor definately has to come out.

Before I had realized a piston decided to go through the cylinder wall (I thought it was just a broken skirt.. ha!), I was hoping I could do everything from the bottom end via a extreme poor mans stroker, but alas the main bearing supports won't allow the piston to come out, they have to come out through the top end. I don't know about your 05, but I know on my 99 that even if I could get to the rear most head bolts (which I don't think I can), it would still be far easier to pull the motor.

FWIW, I had my motor, tranny, t-case and rad pulled, with every wire labled, taking pictures along the way and multiple beer breaks in ~7 hours I think.

It really wasn't nearly as daunting as I would have thought. This was my first "late model" EFI, assloads of wire, etc pull.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Brandon_K wrote:Aye, the motor definately has to come out.

Before I had realized a piston decided to go through the cylinder wall (I thought it was just a broken skirt.. ha!), I was hoping I could do everything from the bottom end via a extreme poor mans stroker, but alas the main bearing supports won't allow the piston to come out, they have to come out through the top end. I don't know about your 05, but I know on my 99 that even if I could get to the rear most head bolts (which I don't think I can), it would still be far easier to pull the motor.

FWIW, I had my motor, tranny, t-case and rad pulled, with every wire labled, taking pictures along the way and multiple beer breaks in ~7 hours I think.

It really wasn't nearly as daunting as I would have thought. This was my first "late model" EFI, assloads of wire, etc pull.
Even if you could get the piston out the bottom, how would you compress the rings to install the pistons back in?
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Brandon_K

Post by Brandon_K »

Very carefully!

In all seriousness, I didn't give thought to how close the bearing supports were. Originally when I thought about it, it was just one of those mind fart things where you know better, you just don't give any thought to it.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Also how are you going to get the crank past the transmission??
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Brandon_K

Post by Brandon_K »

No one ever said that the tranny wasn't coming out...
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

haha had the motor out of my YJ in 4 hours, including taking the front grill out, full wiring harness, and several beer breaks :-)

Seriously, the motor NEEDS to come out. Can't drop a crank with it sitll attached to the flywheel (for standard or auto tranny's)
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

Brandon_K wrote:No one ever said that the tranny wasn't coming out...
Never said it was, either, cuple more bolts and it out anyway.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel