Question about block decking

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Question about block decking

Post by ajmorell »

Curious to know a couple of things

1-If you had your deck blocked, how much did you have taken off?

2-How much would you be willing to take off/can you take off before you start worrying about valve interference?
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Question about block decking

Post by IH 392 »

1) There is sufficient material to take it 0 (in a 4.0) if you do the hear ONLY take enough to make it flat, NO more.
2) I don't believe there is cam on this planet that provides enough lift to get the valves any where near the pistons in a AMC/Jeep straight six?
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

I'm concerned about this too. I have KB945 pistons on the way and they have a 11.38cc dish, and I'd be willing to bet that it's very shallow. If I were to deck the block to zero and shave the head to increase compression ratio (I'm the crazy guy with E85 on my mind) with a COMP 68-231-4, .462/.485 intake/exhaust, then I should be fine? What if I went to 1.7 ratio roller rockers? Then I'd be pushing .491/.515. Is there still suffucient clearnace?

How extreme would one have to go before running into trouble?
What is ideal clearance? I've read 0.09 to 0.10 for race engines and 0.07 is good enough for street engines. We're building torque-beasts here, not high-revving by any means, can we get away with less clearance?

I hope that I'm not hijacking, just playing devil's advocate here.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

There should still be plenty of clearance. There was almost 1/4 of an inch (.250) valve clearance left with my build with .475 lift, .010 plained head and zero deck. I don't think valve clearance should ever be a problem on a 4.0.

Polloloco, how deep are your pistons dished? Mine are probably a little deeper but you should be fine.
Last edited by RAPTORFAN85 on April 21st, 2009, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

Good to hear. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be issues with decking the block 0.030" or so.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

I had my by block decked .045" and the head .015". Right now ex lift is .465, I dont have any issues.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4