Deck height and deck clearance?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Deck height and deck clearance?

Post by eastin82 »

my concern hear is after pricing dif machine work it would be cheaper to take my crank, rods, pistons one place and block and head another.im wanting to achieve a deck clearance of .0005. would i be safe telling them i need .045 taken from the block or should i get crank pistons finished and take them with block? i guess what im aasking is there any change in deck height, clearance or an allowed variance from stock?
keepin the five alive!
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: Deck height and deck clearance?

Post by Exos »

I had the same question when I started. There are too much variables to "theoretically" deck the block. The machinist will need your crank, bearings, rods and pistons.
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

thats kinda what i figured thanks for the input.
keepin the five alive!
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

"Deck height" - vertical distance between centreline of crankshaft and ground block deck surface.

"Deck clearance" - vertical distance between the piston static deck line (irrespective of any "domes" or "dishes") and the ground deck surface of the block. A positive value meas the piston static deck line is /below/ the block deck at TDC ("depressed piston") and a negative value means the piston static deck line is /above/ the block deck at TDC ("proud piston.")

Neither should be mistaken for "quench clearance," which is the vertical distance between the piston static deck line and the ground cylinder head surface at TDC - which is usually the deck clearance plus the /compressed/ thickness of the head gasket.

If you're going to set these values with any sort of accuracy, it is necessary that the machine shop have as many parts as possible, and that they know /exactly/ which cylinder head gasket you're using (save them some trouble and look up the /compressed/ thickness of the head gasket and provide that. They may look it up themselves to verify it, but that's a good thing.)

No machinist worth the money you pay him will bore out cylinders without pistons and rings, and no good machinist will try to set deck clearance without parts in hand to verify results.

It will also simplify things greatly if you have all of your machine work done by the same shop, believe me...
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Exos »

I don't understand why they would need the head gasket, nor the rings? If you know your head gasket thickness, and you decide how much you need to deck, they don't need it, I would think. And why would the rings be needed to bore cylinders? They should only need the pistons or am I missing something?
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

They DON'T need the gasket, just measure recession deck it to "0", ANY of the available composition head gaskets would be good with "0" deck clearance.
TELL them what kind of rings (Molly, Chrome or plain cast iron) you are going to use so they can put the correct finish in the cylinders.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
eastin82
Donator
Donator

Post by eastin82 »

lots more good info! im still going to take crank to a different place but ill wait to get it back and take it and rods, pistons, rod and main bearings and block and a detailed list of what i brought and expect to achieve. I think head will go elsewhere also.
keepin the five alive!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

When taking things like this to a machine shop should new bearings be given to them to install and use for getting the proper deck height? If so, im assuming this doesnt ruin the bearings.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Muad'Dib wrote:When taking things like this to a machine shop should new bearings be given to them to install and use for getting the proper deck height? If so, im assuming this doesnt ruin the bearings.
Definitely need the bearings for checking deck height. No, it won't ruin the bearings, they will be fine.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

x2. They don't actually have it assembled during machining. They assemble it, measure deck clearance, determine how much needs to be cut, then disassemble it and cut it.