Remanufactured Crankshaft Machining? .10/.10 ? .20/.20 ?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Re: Remanufactured Chrankshaft Machining? .10/.10 ? .20/.20 ?

Post by 1bolt »

[For whats it's worth/] I was reading some Engine machinist's chatter over on speedtalk.com and most of them were laughing at the prevailing customer attitude that anything over 20 thousandths was junk. The consensus seemed to be that anything out to 60 was not going to impact the strength of the crank, and this is for high stress performance applications. That site is frequented by big name Race engine builders BTW.[/For whats it's worth]
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

1bolt wrote:[For whats it's worth/] I was reading some Engine machinist's chatter over on speedtalk.com and most of them were laughing at the prevailing customer attitude that anything over 20 thousandths was junk. The consensus seemed to be that anything out to 60 was not going to impact the strength of the crank, and this is for high stress performance applications. That site is frequented by big name Race engine builders BTW.[/For whats it's worth]
I totaly agree with that statment, BUT, try finding bearings for our I6's in anything over a .040 size. It's pretty hard. Machining that much won't affect the strength though.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

yep. bearing availability is the only thing I could possibly see wrong also.

There are several circles in racing where a full offset grind is done to the rod journals. take a mopar 2.5" rod journal down to a honda 1.889" journal to run a lightweight rod. thats over a HALF AN INCH to turn down. Reharden the surface and there ya have it.

talking about 0.010" or 0.020", even 0.060" is peanuts... especial on a 7 main crank and only 300-400 hp range.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

BTW... thats what my 400 ci hemi has done: stock 6.1 forged crank turned down to a honda journal. holds the HP without flinching.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

lafrad wrote:turn down. Reharden the surface and there ya have it.
Virtualy NO production crank is hardened in any way, only he ULTRA Performance and TRUCK! stuff has any form of hardening from the factory.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Re: Remanufactured Crankshaft Machining? .10/.10 ? .20/.20 ?

Post by 1bolt »

Yeah definitely want to stay away from anything that would force an import from Israel :) I just put that out there because it seemed interesting.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

My parents opened up the package and the rods are 30 and mains are 20. Now is it listed as main/rod or rod/main?

Question about bearings: I've read that Federal Mogul are the only ones that have the oil passage already there, and that the Clevitte you need to make the oil passage. Am I off my rocker or is that true? Are Sealed Power bearings Federal Mogul brand? I see them on Federal Mogul's website.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

i can tell you that the clevite rod bearing for a 91 block do not have passage. i think that its main first then rod. dont listen to me though not 100% sure.
keepin the five alive!