more on roller rockers

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
buschguy
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

more on roller rockers

Post by buschguy »

OK-can someone talk me down? I have been reading this forum and others for months as I saved and gathered parts for my upcoming stroker build. I have not cheaped out on parts at all. Then yesterday I read that I can expect to only get 65K out of my new $400 YT roller rockers. Is this true? My goal is a strong, relatively worry free motor for years of service (200K mi). I bought the Mopar 28AB cam and the MP springs. The RR are the 6:1 ratio. I also bought the Alabama cylinderhead to replace my cracked stocker. If the YTs are out, can I expect better service life out of the HS Rollers?
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001

Re: more on roller rockers

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Who told you that? Never heard that before. Dino has had his for a long time, maybe he can tell us how long. I have the yella terra 1.7 rockers and I would not have bought them if that was the case which I don't think it is. There is no logical reason that they shouldn't last much longer then that.

This is a quote from the Yella Terra site:

Premium quality Yella Terra extruded alumiunum roller rockers have never let a competitor down at our high speed proving grounds (Calder Park Thunderdome), where Holden and Ford Auscars required to run our roller rockers having battled in racing at an average speed of over 200km for an estimated 100,000 laps. The rockers ran for over 170,000 km at between 5000-6500 rpm

If they can run at over 5000rpm for over 100,000 miles on a race car then they should last MUCH longer on a street driver vehicle.

Jake
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I've never heard anything about rollers having a short life.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

I've done 19k miles since I installed my 1.6 ratio "yellow terrors" with no problems.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

Well I don't have anything specific to Jeep RR's but there's lots of 60-75k mile talk among gear heads, I believe part of that may be the needle bearings used in pedestal RR's they are self contained and only see limited travel back and forth over a narrow range. I'm not expert on the subject but I've heard that mileage range repeated on more than one forum concerning different engines...
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I'm one of those that have ran a 4.0 hard to 300K(well my 2nd xj 142K to 277K then sold to bro's friend, who took it to 296K and sold it to his friend, who hasn't done the nec. work to get it to pass insp, so it's been sitting) w/o a rebuild on stock rockers. If RRs do indeed have less friction, less parasitic loss, and thus have cooler oil temps, I see no reason why they wouldn't last longer--isn't that the point?
buschguy
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by buschguy »

At 400$ for the rollers and 5k$ for my stroker, i want nothing but the best performance and longevity. I saw a couple of these 65K threads and panicked. I thought rollers would extend the longevity of the push rods and the camshaft, as well as free up a couple ponies. I bought the rollers, I am still planning on using them. I hope the 65K rumor isn't true!