7120 head on renix

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

7120 head on renix

Post by laxplayermjd »

Hey guys, I am going to be disassembling my renix 88 engine tomorrow to see whats useable and what machining would need to be done and if its cracked.

It seems that the 7120 casting number head is way easier to come by, such as ebay have reman heads avail shipped to your door. The renix head is harder to find and would save me the effort of sending the head to have the work done.

I believe as far is ive read that the renix head vs the 7120 head will bolt up directly to the renix block. The ports although are higher on the 7120. I would like to know if the 7120 head still has the boss for the temp sending unit at the back on the head??? And if i can bolt the 7120 head to the renix manifolds but use the newer gasket??? Or does the 91+ manifolds have to be used with the 7120 head?? I dont really want to get diff manifolds than modify the tps or trans shift cables just for ease, but if thats the only way then thats the only way. Let me know any information you guys would have thanks.
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
Even BMW guys need a toy.
In process 4.6l Renix Build.
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Re: 7120 head on renix

Post by 5-90 »

The 7120 head will bolt to the RENIX block (all AMC six heads, 258 & 242ci, 1975-up, will swap.)

You'll find it easier to put the 7120 manifolds on, and adapt the RENIX TPS to fit the HO throttle body (it's been done - and covered over on NAXJA. I may have a thread or two on it bookmarked.) NB: If you're subject to the whims and dicts of the Air Police, deleting the EGR will be a problem (even if the engine /does/ run cleaner without it!)

The 7120 head has the 1/8" NPT port for the temperature gage sensor.

I believe you'll find it easier to adapt the controls to the HO throttle body than to adapt the RENIX manifolds to the head - and if you're using the 7120 head, you have the option to use the 1999-2007 intake manifold for an additional performance boost.
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

5-90 wrote:(all AMC six heads, 258 & 242ci, 1975-up, will swap.)
I'm not entirely sure this is true. I thought i remembered reading a few people that would swap the HO head onto the 258, needed to drill out and re-tap the head bolt holes to a larger size
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

Mgardiner1 wrote:
5-90 wrote:(all AMC six heads, 258 & 242ci, 1975-up, will swap.)
I'm not entirely sure this is true. I thought i remembered reading a few people that would swap the HO head onto the 258, needed to drill out and re-tap the head bolt holes to a larger size
Some time in the early '80s they had 7/16" head bolts for a year or two, they are the ODDBALLS! there are head gasket issues also, some of the water jacket holes in the heads need to be plugged.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yeah i've heard numourus encounters with the water jackets, and heard of a few instances with the head bolts. :cheers:
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)