Piston Pin Height

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Piston Pin Height

Post by Muad'Dib »

I was looking over the FAQ for pistons just now, and i noticed that there is a variance in pin height.

What is the purpose of changing the pin height? I know the pin height would change if your using a 4.2 or 4.0 rod, but why the variance in all the pistons that use a 4.2 rod?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a really noob question ;)
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: Piston Pin Height

Post by PolloLoco »

If you get the right pin height / connecting rod length combo it is possible to get zero deck clearance without any machine work to the block.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

Changing deck clearance and changing quench clearance are the first two that come to mind.

NB: "Piston Pin Height" is also often listed as "Compression Height" - both refer to the same thing; the vertical distance between the piston static deck line (not inclusive of any domes or dishes) and the centre of the gudgeon pin bore.
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

whats the combination where you get zero deck height havent heard such a thing hmm.. must b the 4.0 rod havent been researching that
keepin the five alive!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

eastin82 wrote:whats the combination where you get zero deck height havent heard such a thing
The block FAQ covers this pretty well in the following post:

viewtopic.php?p=2817#p2817

Basically its the measurement from the center of the crankshaft to the top of the block.

Im pretty sure that when people talk about "0" deck height they are refering to the piston deck clearance. So at TDC, the piston top will be flush with the top of the block.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

The aftermarket tends to "destroke" the pistons to compensate for over bore and decking of the block, but they tend to over do it and it opens the quench to much.
There are also minor variances in production models over the years.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

what combo of piston pin height and rod length give zero block decking?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

tigerShark wrote:what combo of piston pin height and rod length give zero block decking?
RAPTORFAN85 got a set of custom diamond pistons that when used with the 4.0 rods gave him a 0.005" deck clearance. He intentionally got the 0.005" deck clearance in case the deck had to be machined to be flat. IIRC the Hesco HESDP45030 would give a zero deck clearance with 4.0 rods, I was intrigued by it the other day but decided to keep with the KB945 piston plan.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

The 4.0 6.123" rods and a custom piston with a 1.382" pin height. The eagle 6150s and a custom piston with a 1.355" pin height(too bad the KBs can't work with em, cause they're close). Or a 4.2 rod and a piston with a 1.62" pin height. Or you can pick one of the available aftermarket pistons and try to find a non jeep rod that'll work(easier just getting the custom pistons).
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

PolloLoco wrote:
tigerShark wrote:what combo of piston pin height and rod length give zero block decking?
RAPTORFAN85 got a set of custom diamond pistons that when used with the 4.0 rods gave him a 0.005" deck clearance. He intentionally got the 0.005" deck clearance in case the deck had to be machined to be flat. IIRC the Hesco HESDP45030 would give a zero deck clearance with 4.0 rods, I was intrigued by it the other day but decided to keep with the KB945 piston plan.
I bet you could call Diamond and get a better price than that! Thats just crazy.
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

hmm.. if my deck was good and i used my 4.0 rods that would almost offset the price for the pistons. to late though maybe next time.
keepin the five alive!