How much are you going or did you spend on your stroker?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!

How much do you plan to spend or did you spend on your stroker?

Less than $500
3%
$500-$1000
8%
$1000-$1500
12%
$1500-$2000
11%
$2000-$2500
15%
$2500-$3000
14%
$3000-$4000
16%
$4000-$5000
8%
$5000 +
6%
I bought a complete motor for about $2,000
1%
I bought a complete motor for about $3,000
1%
I bought a complete motor for about $4,400
3%
I bought a complete motor for about $5,000
0%
I had a custom motor built for me and spent more than $5000
2%

Total votes: 343

Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

How much are you going or did you spend on your stroker?

Post by Plechtan »

I was wondering what the make up is of the members of the board. Sometime people make comments that most people are interested in "budget builds" . This is what the stroker started out as but many people now buy Kb944 or custom pistons, aftermarket Cams, headers, Tuning chips,roller rockers, etc. These are not really budget items.

So rather than guess, why not do a poll? So here we go. I also added a place for people who are just purchasing the engine complete, so we could see how many people are building and how many are just installing.

**Edit**
I have added a spreadsheet, you can delete items you are not going to use, or add on as you see fit. The most expensive items are a new throttle body, a header, and valve springs. Look under the FAQ section to build your own recipie. This is only an example to give you a starting point.
Stroker-Build-REV1(2).xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Plechtan on December 2nd, 2009, 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: How much are you going or did you spend on your stroker?

Post by PolloLoco »

I plan on going balls to the walls with my E85 high-compression build. KB945 pistons are in the budget along with the E85 conversion kit. I will upgrade the intake manifold and get headers, which I could lump with the stroker cost or keep separate.

Then there's the D44 that I'll have to buy because the stroker will most likely destroy my D35, and definitely so if I put in a locker. Then with the D44 I'll get an SYE for my t-case. Along with other drivetrain upgrades come the Terminator AX-15 (I need a new tranny anyway).

The only part of all these upgrades I would consider counting as being costs of the stroker would be the intake manifold and headers.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

I upped it a little because I plan on getting the KB pistons, and I'm still the cheapest?, FleaBay and Craigslist are your friends here!, I seriously dought that I'll surpass the $1500 mark installed and driving.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

My build cost ~$2000. Throw in a psc1 for $125, lm-2 for $360, and now I'm thinking about about dropping $500 on the Unichip(custom shop is 11mi away)=$3000.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

Including machine shop work around $3000, maybe a bit more. I could've done it for around $2000 had I not went out and bought all the "good" parts.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

IH 392 wrote:I upped it a little because I plan on getting the KB pistons, and I'm still the cheapest?, FleaBay and Craigslist are your friends here!, I seriously dought that I'll surpass the $1500 mark installed and driving.
Where and how much for the KB pistons? I can only find KB945 at summit for ~$600 for a set of eight, I'll have to email them asking for six.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

PolloLoco wrote:
IH 392 wrote:I upped it a little because I plan on getting the KB pistons, and I'm still the cheapest?, FleaBay and Craigslist are your friends here!, I seriously dought that I'll surpass the $1500 mark installed and driving.
Where and how much for the KB pistons? I can only find KB945 at summit for ~$600 for a set of eight, I'll have to email them asking for six.
If you call them they can give you the price per piston over the phone. I want to say it was around $75 per piston not including rings.
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Try searching summit for uem-KB945. They list the set of six with rings (KTM).

-Chris
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

SilverXJ wrote:Try searching summit for uem-KB945. They list the set of six with rings (KTM).

-Chris
It's that extra "uem-" that counts, they don't show up searching for "KB945" but also show up searching for "KB945KTM." Does that kit include the pin because the KB website shows yet another part number for the pin.
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/forged.php? ... s&P_id=542
This helps give me a better foretasted cost.

What are everybody's machine shop bills? I'm trying to get an idea of machining costs for the different options: shaving the head, decking the block, boring out the cylinders, port and polish, etc.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Yeah, I don't know why you need the UEM for Summit's Search. The pin is included in the kit.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator

Post by PolloLoco »

w00t! I bought the first part for my stroker today, a remanufactured 12CW crank for $237.38 shipped which is much less than the $300-400 which I had budgeted for. I'm in it now, no turning back! :)
I should order those pistons soon even though I'm not coming back to the States for another five months. I've heard that there are looooong wait times for those KB pistons.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci

Post by seanyb505 »

By the time my stroker was running I had spent just over 4k. Major parts was around 1500, machine shop was 1700, and other random stuff put me up for the last 1000 or so. I had some stuff go wrong, and I replaced a lot of stuff under the engine bay while I was there. My engine could have been had for 2-2.5k, but i wanted to know it was done right and would be reliable.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
buschguy
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by buschguy »

I have bought 80% of the parts (Diamond Pistons, oil pump, bearings and a clutch kit remain). I figure about 5k when you add all the extras you need like clutch kit, headers and fuel injectors. I have been saving all winter while I research what parts I want to use. I never looked at it like a budget build, more like a motor wish list for a dependable daily driver with wabos. It is expensive, but fun.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

PolloLoco wrote: What are everybody's machine shop bills? I'm trying to get an idea of machining costs for the different options: shaving the head, decking the block, boring out the cylinders, port and polish, etc.
im going to try and build one for under $500 using mostly junkyard parts but im starting to think the machine work might come close to that figure. what have some of you spent at the machine shop?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:
PolloLoco wrote: What are everybody's machine shop bills? I'm trying to get an idea of machining costs for the different options: shaving the head, decking the block, boring out the cylinders, port and polish, etc.
im going to try and build one for under $500 using mostly junkyard parts but im starting to think the machine work might come close to that figure. what have some of you spent at the machine shop?
Try this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=749
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!