new to engine builds, couple of q's

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
bikedude189
I think I'll order a "tab"

new to engine builds, couple of q's

Post by bikedude189 »

first i'd like to introduce myself, i'm kenny, from AZ. i'm going to school as a mech. engineer and have the jeep bug.

now for tech. i need a good engine builder's manual as i have never built an engine.

also, i'd like to run my stroker plans by you. please point me in the right direction.

i recently scored a near pristine crank and rods from a 258. 4cw looks like maybe 30-40k on the clock, the main bearings don't even look worn in...($100)
rebuilt 4.0 head casting 0631. ($200)
flowmaster 40 series ($40)
new rockers/pushrods and hardware. (freee!!!)
*new* high volume water pump and oil pump (freee!)
plans: rebuild current engine over summer.
stock 4.0 pistons .040 or .060 oversize (falcon - ebay)
either stock cam or aftermarket (please recommend)
new lifters
new single roller timing set
new exhaust header (apn)
bore throttle body
possibly centerforce clutch
.051 stock head gasket

should i deck the block? how much?
should i spend more for silvolites 2229 or sealed power 677cp? (lening toward the 677's)
if yes to pistons, should i have them machined? to what?
is porting really neccessary? from what i have read without a flow bench its pretty much worthless....
if i keep the rods on the crank does it have to be balanced? can i try to get the difference in weight to be consistent from piston to piston?

i live and wheel at high altitude (flagstaff - 7000'), would like to run at most 89 octane, so i can bust out the 91 at lower alt's without pinging, would like to keep cost down (stock pistons/cam).

please give me some recommendations, and if anyone is in the area and wants to donate knowledge or parts, or just lend a hand i would be in your debt...
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: new to engine builds, couple of q's

Post by seanyb505 »

Youll want to have the block and head flat, youll find that out when the block gets to the machine shop. As you deck the block, your CR will go up and your quench will go down. Dishing your pistons will lower your CR. Lower quench helps deal with high CR. Dishing the pistons will give you room to lower your quench. I got the 2229s, they were dished to 30cc. You probly wont need that much, mine were already dished so I didnt have a choice. P&P will give you more power if done correctly, use writeups of others and patience. It would just be a good idea to get the rotating assembly balanced once the pistons are on.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
bikedude189

Post by bikedude189 »

sweet. i'm thinking of going with the 677cp pistons that falcon sells as i can get a piston/ring kit for about 160... and silvolites are about 500. trying to stay to a budget.

any thoughts on a good cam? and how far should i deck the block with stock 677cp, stock 4.0, and 30cc dished 677cp's?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

I like the comp cam 68-231-4. You can also get it nitrided. Some other good companies are Isky and Lunati. They don't list much on their sites, but contact them they cam probably recommend a good grind for your build.
bikedude189

Post by bikedude189 »

sweet, another q - has anyone had much experience witht he 677cp pistone? and has anyone dished them? like to 28-30cc?
4wdparakeet
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by 4wdparakeet »

I just recivied my Lunati cam and mines going into the machine shop next week hopefully. But IIRC I got the 256/112. I'll get you a part number tomorrow. The Lunati cam and lifters were about 205-210 shipped. I think the comp cam I priced out was 230 for the kit and didn't include shipping.

I ended up springing for the KB944's so I'll let you know how that turns out for me in the next couple weeks.

Just make sure you plan on going over budget. I told my wife that I was 200 under what I wanted to spend. Then I told her that it wasn't even in the machine shop yet. All said and done I should be close to a grand over.

Parakeet
bikedude189

Post by bikedude189 »

haha, yeah, i think the comp cam and stock lifters is the one i'm going with, but ill definitely check out lunati. i've decided on the sealed power 677CP psitons as people are saying you can dish tehm to 30cc and i found a set fairly cheap. and yeah, 'i'm planning on spending every penny i make this summer on the engine...
eastin82
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by eastin82 »

ive got the 677cp pistons on the way having them dished to 23cc. im at work and cant remember all the exacts but i think my deck height will be .0025, quench .0475, scr 9.44, dcr 8.15 or something along those lines why would u dish so much?
keepin the five alive!
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

Those #'s you've chosen look good eastin.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

4wdparakeet wrote:I ended up springing for the KB944's so I'll let you know how that turns out for me in the next couple weeks.
What do you have to do the the 4.0 connecting rods in order to get them to fit the KB944? They have to be rounded on the piston side, right?
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Where did you hear that? Its sort of true. The one rod we used that was the lightest (no material removed from balancing pad) needed to have its edges knocked off in order for the pin to line up with the other side.
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by PolloLoco »

SilverXJ wrote:Where did you hear that? Its sort of true. The one rod we used that was the lightest (no material removed from balancing pad) needed to have its edges knocked off in order for the pin to line up with the other side.
RAPTORFAN85 has diamond pistons which have to be rounded on the end and told me that it would have to be done for the KB944/KB945 pistons and he told me to talk to use because that's what you used.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Well, it was the rod that was completely untouched 100% stock balancing pad profile. That is the one that didn't fit. Just a small amount of metal needed to be knocked off. Also, keep and eye on the little nipple the KBs have in the middle.. that is another sport for binding. You should probably tell your machinist that some slight modifications may be necessary.