To Stroke Or De-Stroke?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Re: To Stroke Or De-Stroke?

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

You would be much better off building a stroker to suit the supercharger. That way you can get the right compression and such. The avenger would suit the stroker fine.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
WarHog93
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by WarHog93 »

so you're saying the 4.0 charger would be compatible with the 4.6 even though it was designed for the 4.0??

I don't know enough about engines, or have the resources: tools, cash, or know people who do, to build my own stroker, thats why i was so happy when i found the GES 4.6.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Theoretically any supercharger for a 4.0 will work on a stroker and bolt on the same way. Now the fuel management you go with oughta have a different tune/adjustment for the bigger displacement of the stroker than the 4.0.
WarHog93
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Wrangler
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by WarHog93 »

ohh ok right on thanks! do you guys know of any aftermarket fuel management systems or should i just have a mechanic do it? I know i'll have to get higher flow injectors and im already planning on changing out my ignition system.
ajmorell
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: ZJ

Post by ajmorell »

maybe this will help you out a little bit:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518449
-Andy-
MichiganTech Mechanical Engineering
BSME '09
MSME '10
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

A split second ftc1 can be used to adjust the fuel and timing.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Guess he had to use a smaller pulley to increase boost cause the bigger displacement was "eating the boost". I haven't seen Realm post in a while
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

mendelmax wrote:If 315HP and 345 ft/lbs sounds good for you, you might want to take a look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TITAN-MO ... ccessories
I wouldn't touch that engine with a 10-foot bargepole. The reliability of Titan strokers has been patchy at best, and the warranty is worthless if you have an engine failure and have to pay the cost of shipping it back to Titan. Even if you get as far as Titan agreeing to replace your engine (unlikely), YOU will have to pay the shipping cost AGAIN. With a CR of 8.9:1 (they must have used pistons with a dish as big as a frying pan to get the CR that low on a 4.9 stroker), there's no way it'll produce anywhere near 315hp/345lbft so don't fall for that BS.
If you want a stroker that'll do what you want it to do, build it yourself. Buy a junkyard 4.0 long block, build it up into a 4.6 stroker, and swap it in place of your old 4.0 when it's done. Then sell your old 4.0 on to someone else to recoup some of the cost. That's how I did it.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Cheromaniac wrote:
I wouldn't touch that engine with a 10-foot bargepole. The reliability of Titan strokers has been patchy at best, and the warranty is worthless if you have an engine failure and have to pay the cost of shipping it back to Titan. Even if you get as far as Titan agreeing to replace your engine (unlikely), YOU will have to pay the shipping cost AGAIN.
Long story short (sort of):
In my case I had a knocking noise from their engine from day one. I replaced the lifters, bearings, head gasket, etc. No luck. They supplied the parts I had to do the work. I drove down to Florida with the engine and they replaced it with a new engine. To start with they had problems accessing the upper bell housing bolts and resorted to pry bars against the tunnel with dented it. They got the engine installed and did a poor cam break in. Let it idle for 5 minutes before starting the break in. I told them to put in a Comp Cam 68-231-4 camshaft. After the break in I knew something wasn't right. First off it didn't sound like the 68-231-4 Cam and there was also an exhaust leak. I left figuring I would take care of the exhaust leak myself. This was a 4 or 5 in the evening I left knowing I had a 10 hour drive ahead of me. About halfway through the sound got worse. By the time I got back into town the sound was so loud it was echoing off buildings. After work the next day I found 1/4" of play between a rocker and pushrod. My Yella Terra roller rockers were damaged and the cam was dead. I replaced the bearings, which showed signs of dirt, I replaced the cam and the rockers. The cam was a crane cam which wasn't was what I was told was installed. They blames the damaged cam on the Mopar Performance springs. So I told them to send me a set of stock rockers to replace the damaged YT rockers. They sent me some abused used stock rockers which had serious wear. After two sets of those I bought a new set. Also, the original engine sale was supposed to include my head having larger valves installed.. that wasn't so.. I sent the head back to them to have the valve installed. Took a month to get it back to me. What they did with the head was sink valves at different levels and cut the stems past the stock shoulder. They also installed what would be considered stock valves and shimmed them to get a higher seat load. I install the parts, and broke in the new cam correctly. Now I had a new ticking sound which turned out to be a worn valve guide. I replaced the head using my own funds because their "head guy never sent out a bad head". I replaced the head and shortly after wards the block developed a loud knocking noise. At that point I called it quits with their pos engine and pulled it. I called them and Chuck's response was, and I quote, "Ship the engine back to us to see what you did to it". After a few choice words I gave up on their engine. On inspection one of the rod bearings were wiped and the head valves were all installed at different lengths with several having more than allowed guide wear.

So yeah, they had the opportunity to assemble and install a new engine and they couldn't even get that right.