Decking the Head

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
PolloLoco
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Decking the Head

Post by PolloLoco »

I knew the concept of decking the block, but then today I realized decking the head is another option. Decking the head would lower the combustion chamber volume and increase the compression ratio.

With a zero piston deck clearance how much can be removed from the head before the piston will come into contact with the valves? Yes, cam choice is involved in this because of valve lift.

Let's take the COMP Cam 68-232-4 for example, 0.460" intake and 0.476" exhaust lift. Now say I want to take 0.020" off the head, is this too much? How about 0.010"? What have you done?

My ultimate goal is to build a 4.7L with a SCR of about 11:1 and I will run on E85. Don't turn this into a discussion of E85 and politics, fuel economy, etc. I'm putting this out there because there is a method to my madness.
4.7L Stroker, 4.88 Ford 8.8 w/Auburn ECTED, HP30 w/ARB, AX-15, NP231 w/RR SYE, 33x10.50 BFG A/T, 4" Skyjacker, 1" body lift, 1" MORE motor mounts, Kilby fuel tank skid, UCF ultra-high clearance 1/4" skid, HMMWV-style snorkel, 63mm TB
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Decking the Head

Post by SilverXJ »

I had my head resurfaced a while ago, but very little was taken off, something like .001". What I do know that when I checked piston to valve clearance (using the KB944s) I measured a piston that was .004" below deck. I used no head gasket, and even put a .020" shim between the rocker and valve (I used pumped up lifters and light weight valve springs). The valves didn't even touch the layer of silly putty in the piston dish (1/16-1/8" thick silly putty). This was with the Comp Cam 68-231-4 cam.
johnhalabama
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1936
Vehicle Make: Dodge
Vehicle Model: D2 Sedan

Post by johnhalabama »

PolloLoco wrote:My ultimate goal is to build a 4.7L with a SCR of about 11:1 and I will run on E85. Don't turn this into a discussion of E85 and politics, fuel economy, etc. I'm putting this out there because there is a method to my madness.
I'm curious to see what you come up with. I replied on your other post about the pistons. I want to run a high compression engine because I don't need the low end torque. It's going in a street rod that I won't drive every day so I don't mind buying the good gas. I just don't want to get it so I have to go find race fuel if I go out of town.

John
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by seanyb505 »

I took .015 off the head and my pistons are supposedly .0045 down. No contact with .0465 ex lift. (.052 HG and .060 rocker arm shim, and a healthy piston dish)
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4