Crower Cam saver lifters

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
nukfyrsq
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 282
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Crower Cam saver lifters

Post by nukfyrsq »

Just received my Crower cam saver lifters to replace the lifters that cam with my Comp Cam 68-232-4 kit. The CS lifters have a small narrow flat ground on the vertical axis of the lifter body. Obviously this is to allow additional oil to pass between the lifter bore and the lifter. So has anyone attempted to modify 'standard' lifters in this manner versus grooving the lifter bore? Is their benefit to having both when utilizing a HV oil pump?
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Crower Cam saver lifters

Post by seanyb505 »

I have the same lifters. The engine still runs after 5-6k miles, so the verdict is still out on them for me. I have heard them described as mini leaks within the engine, so make sure you do use the Hi Vol oil pump. I think some low oil pressure issues I have might be attributed to having several little "leaks."
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Crower Cam saver lifters

Post by SilverXJ »

I've had the crower cam saver lifters and the standard volume oil pump with no oil pressure issues. I don't like them however because the lifter is always rotating, putting the flat where it needs to be (over the cam before it goes under the lifter) only a small percentage of time. However it is better than nothing.

I now use grooved lifter bores and a standard volume oil pump. Its too early (under 200 miles on this engine) to tell if I will have oil pressure issues or not. If interested I will rent out the proper tool for the job.

Also, I was going through some posts on Hesco's forum and Lee mentioned something about them treating the lifter bores to provide more oil to the cam.