Newbie Cheap Cherokee Stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Newbie Cheap Cherokee Stroker

Post by laxplayermjd »

i got rid of my bmw, now i drive a 07 mazdaspeed 6, working on tuning software now for some more power, its beta testing so i hope it works lol.
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
Even BMW guys need a toy.
In process 4.6l Renix Build.
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

okay fellas. I sold the car i was flipping, have $900 dollars to spend. I have to rush the rest of my build now. I have until may 30th to have my jeep off the property at work lol. So it needs to be driving off or ill tow it home. Which will suck to find a way to put the motot back in.

I need help, i havent been online in a while and been slacking.

I just ordered a rebuilt 7120 head off of ebay and a hesco crank spacer. i have all bottom end components already.

Things i know i still need.

**Head bolts,
**complete gasket set-- what year do i need to buy, i want mls head gasket, along with one piece rubber oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket
should i buy a renix set and just order the rest seperately?

**pushrods-- this is my biggest issue, i dont really have time to install and check for correct length, any ideas? estimate my shaved off values and subtract that- note im using stock valve train

i want to convert to a 91 up cooling system for the xj. dont have anything at this moment

What spark plugs and tune up kit should i run?

Do you guys replace the somewhat useless timing chain guide while your in the engine?

If you can provide me with any help it would be much appreciated, part numbers would also be fantastic! when dont ill have a complete budget parts list for everybody. Thanks im in a big hurry now, I really only have two saturdays to get it assembled in and running.
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

To edit my post from above, still may need some help

Since Last night i have purchased
-rebuilt cylinder head off ebay
-headbolt set(headbolts.com)
-felpro gaket set(ebay)--- need to buy seperate 1 piece pan gasket, mls headgasket, and maybe valve cover gasket -91-95 intake gasket for 7120 head
-crank spacer from hesco
-aux fan off ebay
- comp push rod checker- will assemble engine and check this sat, order pushrods and install motor next saturday

Still need to purchase all tune up required parts - plugs, wire, cap and rotor- what are you guys running?
radiator, hoses, heater valve, water pump,
oxygen sensor
front exhaust pipe

wheres the best place to locate either joe gibbs or royal purple break in oil. and the cheapest place for gm EOS?

really important question, are all 4.2 and 4.0 pushrods the same? besides length of course??????
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

well its running, had some issues. figured them out. have some parts ordered. need to get afr gauge to see where im running. think i need a new cat also. got to make a new wiring harness for the headlights as its all burnt and corroded
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

well im having a hell of time getting this thing to run right. it has no tags so i cant really drive it. I just got a gm temp sensor and put it in the air boot, the stock one was all screwed up.

So it has a brand new o2 sensor, new temp sensor. tps was adjusted to .8, map volts reads correctly, coolant temp reads correctly.

it had been sitting for a while and had idle problems before usually high. since i played with it again when i start it up it doesnt even high idle, granted its 100 degrees out here. it starts and goes to about 800 rpm, it runs a tiny bit rough, then starts to lope up and down, and get lower in rpm each time.

if i hit the throttle its fine, revs right up great, let off and it drops to low and stalls at times

any ideas?
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

What injectors are you using? Is the TB and sensors all clean and tight? Have you checked sensor values with that lung renix page?
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

yea all sensors were checked, well not crank sensor. but thats how i found the bad intake air temp sensor.

injectors are still the stock ones. but that shouldnt matter for idle. plus it seems i read alot of renix guys switch back to stock after using the 24lb.

i had a set of bmw injectors that were thought to be 24lb installed. it seemed to be running way rich. i really need a air fuel gauge to know, it needs a muffler and may need a new cat.. ive been more busy playin with my new car, 07 mazdaspeed 6
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

What do your spark plugs look like? Fuel pressure? What about the coil?
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

i havent pulled the plugs yet. coil is most likely original. fuel pressure was at spec. i forget the number tho. i was playing with it. pulled the vac line off the regulator and plugged it. it seemed to raise rpms a little bit and smooth out some.

the thing i find most odd is theres no high idle warm up when you start it. maybe cause its almost 100 degrees here idk. it just starts and drops to about 800. everything seems to get better as it warms up.

theres only so many things i can play with when its almost 100 and sun blaring down on ya in the backyard it gets so hot
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

What do you mean there is no high idle warmup? Do Renix 4.0L have some sort of high idle warmup?
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

normally when you start any car it idles about 1200 or so rpm for 30 secs to a minute. its not doing that just goes right to about 800 rpm. it wont do it when the engine is warmed up. then again it may be warm enough from ambient temp to make it not do it
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

The only fast idles I have seen on fuel injected vehicles last for 5 seconds at most. Including the 95 ZJ I have. No where near 30 seconds. I don't know about Renix though. Other vehicles aren't even 5 seconds. 30 seconds to a minute sounds like a vacuum leak.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Have you checked the indexing of the distributor?

This might help: http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PD ... manual.pdf
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924895
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Fue ... ostics.htm

LungHD also has some other stuff on the Renix under his engine and fuel system section, about 1/2 way down: http://www.lunghd.com/On_Site_Tech.htm

Might want to make sure that the TPS is set correctly. Seems that there is a certain method to set it, not just .08 volts.
laxplayermjd
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by laxplayermjd »

indexing is right im pretty sure. i have it in a out a ton of times. but it was other issues causing problems at that time.

ive been looking maybe upgrading the coil anyway. checked almost all the sensors per that lunghd page.

ill pull the plugs and play with it more later this week sometime. its going to be over 100 today so its too hot for me. i still need to add some grounds and even replace the positive cables. also soldering the main connector cause it looked horrible.

maybe swap in my other injectors again who knows. lots of tinkering still. When i drove it the 5 miles from work to my house it ran great no problems. but always idled a tad rough. now since its gotten hotter it will die at times
BMW Master Tech
ASE Master Tech
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

As you said, the injectors shouldn't play a part at idle and not WOT. Unless they are clogged. Bad grounds could cause all kind of problems too.