Suggestions

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Re: Suggestions

Post by Shark »

how bout a way to increase the number of posts you can view per page.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:how bout a way to increase the number of posts you can view per page.
Well thats a toss up. If you remember it was only a few days ago that this thread was not quite 2 pages. Now its 4. I changed the amount of posts per page to 10 from 25. This is because some of the members that visit this forum are on dial-up, and having more then 10 posts per page with a bunch of pictures (like the show your stuff/rig thread) really slows them down.

I would rather keep this site "dial-up friendly" and have to view more pages, then be able to view more posts per page and basically kick out the dial-up guys.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

im talking about a way to change it based on the users preferences in the user control panel. i wouldnt want to make the information on this board less attainable for the dial-up guys. we could keep the default at 10 and allow the user to up it to 50 or so if the user was so inclined. ive seen this option on other boards and went looking for it in the user control panel under board preferences. im not sure how the features are limited to one BB code to another but if this is possible i would take advantage of it just as i would a quick reply feature.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:im talking about a way to change it based on the users preferences in the user control panel. i wouldnt want to make the information on this board less attainable for the dial-up guys. we could keep the default at 10 and allow the user to up it to 50 or so if the user was so inclined. ive seen this option on other boards and went looking for it in the user control panel under board preferences. im not sure how the features are limited to one BB code to another but if this is possible i would take advantage of it just as i would a quick reply feature.
Ill look into the post per page thing..

About the quick reply feature, why do you think its needed / whats the benefit. When you hit reply, it opens a new page for making your reply but if you scroll down you can still see all the post's.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i didnt notice i could see the other posts if i just scrolled down. i see that now. still getting used to phpbb i guess. a quick reply is still one less click but i was mostly concerned about viewing the other posts when i reply.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

I was just looking at the ranking system....As time goes on (probly in the next 2-3 weeks) anyone who has been here for a while will have top rank. Maybe having more posts required for "promotion?" For example instead of 10 20 30 40 50, have noob start at 10, then 25, 50, 100, 200 or something. It would give more weight to the ranking system, whic btw what exactly is it supposed to convey? Is it just a way to let everyone know how long someone has been here, or how much they contribute? This may be a dumb question, but I dont know the answer, hence, question.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

seanyb505 wrote:I was just looking at the ranking system....As time goes on (probly in the next 2-3 weeks) anyone who has been here for a while will have top rank. Maybe having more posts required for "promotion?" For example instead of 10 20 30 40 50, have noob start at 10, then 25, 50, 100, 200 or something. It would give more weight to the ranking system, whic btw what exactly is it supposed to convey? Is it just a way to let everyone know how long someone has been here, or how much they contribute? This may be a dumb question, but I dont know the answer, hence, question.
I found this and thought it applied to your question:
Forum Ranks are a fun and neat way to show off who you are in the community. Rankings can be based on a variety of criteria such as post count, page views, message views etc.. On JeepStrokers.com we base ranks on a few factors, mainly post count. Different ranks come up when you meet a post count level. How many posts is required for each rank? Well that's a surprise! If we gave up all our secrets there'd be no fun in any of this! Even the list of the rank names and their order are a closely guarded secret, known only to select members of the Moderating Team who have been sworn to secrecy. Have fun discovering the ranks as you participate in the community!
Its just a silly way of showing how active you are in the forums. Seems you have been watching them change! No worries there, there are different colored stars as you move up your post count. I have it going all the way up to 5000 posts. Just as your post count gets higher, the more posts it takes to get to a higher colored star. For example, once you reach 50 posts, you will have 5 of those blueish stars. Then you have to wait to 100 posts till you make it to the next rank which is a single green star.
Make since?
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Thanks, this forum makes me feel special for some reason. Keep up the good work!
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Does anyone else have any suggestions for this forum? Maybe a chatroom or something similar?

Any thoughts and ideas are appreciated!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

As far as i can tell, generally speaking there usually aren't more then 2 or 3 registered members logged in at a time, so a chat room would probably be relatively empty..... like right now, it says i am currently the only registered member viewing the forums. Its tuesday night, 9 PM eastern time. I'd think it would be a little busier.

Anyway, thats my .02
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Mgardiner1 wrote:As far as i can tell, generally speaking there usually aren't more then 2 or 3 registered members logged in at a time, so a chat room would probably be relatively empty..... like right now, it says i am currently the only registered member viewing the forums. Its tuesday night, 9 PM eastern time. I'd think it would be a little busier.

Anyway, thats my .02
Well with time of course as this board gets more and more people it should continue to grow.

Either way its about what you guys want.. and if nobody wants a chat room then thats fine it was just one of the only things i could think of that i havent done here yet :P
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

I know we have the FAQ section, but maybe we could do a walk through of a stroker build so people know what general direction to take when starting the project. One of my favorite questions on a huge turbo forum for example, is something like "How do I turbo my car?" I think we could avoid having too many of "I want a stroker how do I do it?"'s floating around if we had something like a general universal stroker guideline something.
Example:
Goals and purpose for vehicle will determine direction of build and the decision and purchase of such parts as
Crankshaft
Pistons
Camshaft selection
Fuel requirement
etc...

And then have different general directions given from there. Kinda like those books when you were a kid "If you want to open the closet door go to page 46, if not go to page 58." I think Dynos pages are good for recipes, but a recipe wont help as much if you dont know if you want meatloaf or roasted chicken. Maybe we have something close to this already, but I dont think we can dumb it down enough for someone who asks "How do i build a stroker." Also thoughts that some of us overlook when buying parts like you will have to do something about the longer snout on the 12wt cranks, and if you deck anything your quench will go down but CR up and omg what about pistons now and will springs suffice for the huge cam? You know, kids stuff.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

seanyb505 wrote:I know we have the FAQ section, but maybe we could do a walk through of a stroker build so people know what general direction to take when starting the project. One of my favorite questions on a huge turbo forum for example, is something like "How do I turbo my car?" I think we could avoid having too many of "I want a stroker how do I do it?"'s floating around if we had something like a general universal stroker guideline something.
Example:
Goals and purpose for vehicle will determine direction of build and the decision and purchase of such parts as
Crankshaft
Pistons
Camshaft selection
Fuel requirement
etc...

And then have different general directions given from there. Kinda like those books when you were a kid "If you want to open the closet door go to page 46, if not go to page 58." I think Dynos pages are good for recipes, but a recipe wont help as much if you dont know if you want meatloaf or roasted chicken. Maybe we have something close to this already, but I dont think we can dumb it down enough for someone who asks "How do i build a stroker." Also thoughts that some of us overlook when buying parts like you will have to do something about the longer snout on the 12wt cranks, and if you deck anything your quench will go down but CR up and omg what about pistons now and will springs suffice for the huge cam? You know, kids stuff.
I think thats a great idea. Almost like a noob guidline.

IM still a noob myself when it comes to building a stroker... so ideally if someone else was able to write this up, i could put it at the top of the FAQ's for example...
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:im talking about a way to change it based on the users preferences in the user control panel. i wouldnt want to make the information on this board less attainable for the dial-up guys. we could keep the default at 10 and allow the user to up it to 50 or so if the user was so inclined. ive seen this option on other boards and went looking for it in the user control panel under board preferences. im not sure how the features are limited to one BB code to another but if this is possible i would take advantage of it just as i would a quick reply feature.
Im sorry that i forgot about this...

Keep your eye on the Forum News section for something exciting!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Post by Mgardiner1 »

How about a larger selection of smilies/emoticons?
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)