Suggestions

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
BLHTAZ
Noob
Noob

Re: Suggestions

Post by BLHTAZ »

tigerShark wrote:why dont we have a quick reply field at the bottom or the last post in a thread. moswt forums i frequent have that quick reply feature.

how bout a forced induction forum.

we will probably also need an tech FAQ to cut down on repeated questions that have been covered numerous times. i know this are kinda slow right now but once the word gets out i think we will get a lot of the trafic from naxja, comanche club, pirate4x4, etc.
I don't know that phpBB has the quick reply option. The only boards that I have seen those on are "vBulliten" boards.

I agree and also suggested the "intro forum" earlier in this thread.

FAQ stuff is going to have to be built by knowledgeable/experienced members making contributions to such a section and someone willing to step it up and organize it.
TNT
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by TNT »

tigerShark wrote:why dont we have a quick reply field at the bottom or the last post in a thread. moswt forums i frequent have that quick reply feature.

how bout a forced induction forum.

we will probably also need an tech FAQ to cut down on repeated questions that have been covered numerous times. i know this are kinda slow right now but once the word gets out i think we will get a lot of the trafic from naxja, comanche club, pirate4x4, etc.

A FAQ section made sticky at the top of each forum would be a good idea. All of the forums need stickys about what belongs and what doesn't belong in them.

A forced induction forum is a good idea. It could be called "Under PSI Tech" or "Got Boost tech".

I'm a turbo kind of guy and I bet I could get a 50 trim to fit. It would be good for about 450hp easy. :mrgreen:
TNT
89 MJ ext. cab project

Life's Journey isn't to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Blast Full Throttle, Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out & Thrashed, Screaming Holy $hit What a Ride!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

TNT wrote:May be a general modifications forum should be made for exhaust, intake, air fiter and other non-stroker specific treads?
x2 I would like to see a General tech section for things like exhausts, air intakes, broken door locks, and the like.

-Chris
H.M.X
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by H.M.X »

the forum looks great. I would add another vote against sprawl. if somebody needs general tech, they can go to any of the half a billion XJ sites out there.

for a good example of a forum that has successfully avoided sprawl, check out http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/. the more you hang out there, the more you appreciate the structure and the features of that forum.

I am glad that you included a section for those of us installing these engines in other AMC products.

dan
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

H.M.X wrote:the forum looks great. I would add another vote against sprawl. if somebody needs general tech, they can go to any of the half a billion XJ sites out there.

for a good example of a forum that has successfully avoided sprawl, check out http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum. the more you hang out there, the more you appreciate the structure and the features of that forum.
dan
the HAMB( http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum ) is a great board. i kinda like how all the tech, off-topic, on-topic, etc are in one forum. but they do have a tech archive. one this site grows we might need a tech archive. moves old tech posts to its own forum so they dont get lost forever in the abyss of useless threads.

i agree about the general tech. if you need advice on how to lift you XJ go to NAXJA.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
TNT
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by TNT »

SilverXJ wrote:
TNT wrote:May be a general modifications forum should be made for exhaust, intake, air fiter and other non-stroker specific treads?
x2 I would like to see a General tech section for things like exhausts, air intakes, broken door locks, and the like.

-Chris

I meant anything comcerning the engine and everything it uses to perform.

I don't want to see broken door locks, lifts, what tires fit or other sh*t like that.

I meant general performance mods.
TNT
89 MJ ext. cab project

Life's Journey isn't to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Blast Full Throttle, Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out & Thrashed, Screaming Holy $hit What a Ride!
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

tigerShark wrote: i agree about the general tech. if you need advice on how to lift you XJ go to NAXJA.
X2 how about we make a link that looks like a "general jeep tech" topic and point it to NAXJA? :) I'm only half joking...

In my mind (maybe it's only in my mind hahah) this place is for performance oriented mods that go with a stroker build.... And in the projects section anything you want to write up that is related to either an engine build or your stroker Jeep... Like lowering a Street jeep, or putting a Ford 9" in an MJ or converting to Mega Squirt engine management... whatever.

I also want to gauge how the board feels about having non-engine related stuff in the projects section? We don't want to see broken door locks, lift kits, etc. how about someone upgrading their suspension or re-doing their interior as part of an on going project that is performance oriented?

I ask because I already started a thread that would show all kinds of non-engine related mods, and it didn't occur to me to first find out if people here will find it relevant... Just as an example my project thread will probably show a variety of mods. Like a Cowl Induction Hood a custom intake, an APEXI SAFC II install, custom Autometer Gauge mounting, maybe some fiberglass work which is at least loosely related to performance but also some totally non engine related stuff like stiffening the unibody with urethane foam, interior restoration, full power leather seats etc...

If people want to keep tightly focused on Engines and pure performance mods only I'll just post it on NAXJA or something. But I guess we should figure that sort of thing out right now...

My preference is maybe a little more relaxed and unorganized than some others... But by the same token I don't think we need to re-create NAXJA's OEM tech section either.

So how tightly do we focus?
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

i dont think we need to turn into a bunch of post nazis like you see at alot of other boards. if you want to post about other things youve done to your stroker ride that should be ok. just like your thread in the project forum 1bolt. im looking forward to see what else youve got coming in that thread. at the same time we do need to keep some sort of order around here to keep the forum logically organized and on topic so there does need to be a defined limit to whats on topic.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Why send someone someplace else for tech? They will most likely stay there and this forum will be on the fail boat.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

A quick reply feature can be modded into this board.. so if thats what people want i can add that.. although i dont think its needed. I can also add a multi quote mod which i think could be usefull if thats what you guys wanted as well..
SilverXJ wrote:Why send someone someplace else for tech? They will most likely stay there and this forum will be on the fail boat.
Thats a good point, but at the other end of the token, there not going to find the stroker tech information that is/will be here on any other boards. That is the primary focus of this board right?

Sure if the forum gets big enough to have our own "tech" section, and the majority of you guys want it.. i dont have a problem with adding it. As stated earlier however, i think its best we keep in mind what our target audience is.. and that is the people who build / modify there 4.0/4.2's into bad ass engines.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Muad'Dib wrote:A quick reply feature can be modded into this board.. so if thats what people want i can add that..
that is definitely a feature i have grown accustomed to at other forums.
vwdoc1

Post by vwdoc1 »

:idea:
I see things broken down into about 6 main categories:
1. Engine
2. Intake
3. Exhaust
4. Fuel
5. Ignition
6. Cooling

Then those are broken down into sub-cats
1a. Crankshaft (nose shortening, offset grinding, light or heavy, balancing, bearings, flywheels, Harmonic Balancers)
1b. Con Rods (length, bolts, reconditioning)
1c. Camshafts (brand, duration, lifters, break-in procedures)
1d. Block (straightening/aligning, reconditioning, oiling modifications, boring)
1e. Oiling system
1f. Cylinder Head (oversize/undersize valves, springs, porting & polishing)

2a. Installing HO Intake on non-HO head
2b. Port matching
2c. Throttle Body boring
2d. Air filtering and cool air mods
2e. Forced air
etc.

Just to give some ideas to what the breakdown of areas can be but trying to keep it on-topic and tight!! :D
later,
dave AKA vwdoc1
'88 XJ 4.0 (bored not stroked) AW4 242
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

SilverXJ wrote:Why send someone someplace else for tech? They will most likely stay there and this forum will be on the fail boat.
Okay I agree to some extent, you're right we shouldn't send people away. Where do we draw the line though? We can make a "nude girls on Jeeps" forum too that would generate a lot of traffic. But then I suspect the "success boat" we would find ourselves on wouldn't have much to do with modding 4.0's.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
BMJ

Post by BMJ »

:mrgreen: x2 :mrgreen: Keep it oriented ; No "How to pick the right color for ur dash cover stuff" :lol: If it's oriented to research a stroked engine / balance the overall perfomance of a stroked engine ( brakes/handling/fuel/safety) It should have a spot where it can be written and read by others.
Great start guys :mrgreen:
Sorry Honey.... Ur mom don't fit in my MJ ; Yes ! They made them like that on purpose...
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

ill 2nd the vote for the"nude girls on jeeps" forum. great brainstorming 1bolt.(only half kidding)