Stroker Recipies for Noobs!

Check here for most things forum related... NOT stroker related!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Stroker Recipies for Noobs!

Post by Muad'Dib »

Now that i'm getting excited about doing my own Stroker build, i've notice that were not really "first time" builder friendly. We have tons of information for things if you already know what your looking for.. but what about people like me that really don't have a clue?

Here is what i propose...

Can someone (or a group of people) create a detailed post that i could put in the FAQ section on where noobs like my can start.

Dino Savva's Stroker Recipes is really the closest thing we have.. however its vauge in my opinion .. and its off site. It would be great to have the information here.

This is my thought process:

Basically a list of builds and how much horsepower and torque you should expect from that particular build.. ranging from a 4.5L to possibly a 5.0.
Each build list would contain a list of parts needed to do that particular build. However, instead of just listing what parts .. it would also list different part options. For example.. if your building a purpose build rock crawler your going to want to consider using cam xyz, but if your trying to build something that is the best of both worlds (rock crawling and strip), then cam abc is probably the best choice. (again that is one example out of many i'm sure).
To go even further, it would be really nice to have detailed explanations on what the first time builder should do with each particular part. For example.. the 7120 head. If someone choses to use the 7120 head, what should they do with it? A home port and polish with a kit? Checked for cracks? Should the port and polish be done before or after you take it in to get cleaned? Another example that i'm personally dealing with right now. What to do with the crank one you get it? Take it to a machine shop? Have them do what to it? Should it be treated with anything? If so, what should it be treated with (if treated is the right verbiage). How should it be stored. Should or can the machine work be done first and then the crank set aside, or should it be done close to build time. What if your on a budget but want to build this nice, not skimp out, and just take your time with it. Taking all the parts at once to the machine shop may not be exactly feasible. Is there another option, or is it crucial to be done that way?

As you can see i can come up with a lot of questions... so id be willing to work side by side with whoever steps up and starts working on this. Again it can be a group effort.

I am sure i'm asking for a lot here.. but it could definitely be a work in progress. I personally feel it would be handy.. and i'm sure other first timers to the stroker world would benefit from it as well.

If i'm way off base with my thought process please let me know. Again i'm a noob myself so what i'm asking for for all i know may be impossible because of too many variables.

Incentives for those of you who contribute:

Current Donators:

2 More decals of their choice for free
Lifetime Donator status.

Regular Members:

3 decals of choice for free.
Regular Donator Status

Please reply to this thread with any insight you have to this.

Thanks!
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: Stroker Recipies for Noobs!

Post by Mgardiner1 »

I think i'd break it down a step further (just to keep it a little more organized)

Have a few seperate threads (which was the intention of the Basic stroker and Performance stroker subjects....)

Stroker on a budget ($1000-$2000 recipes)(210hp-230hp)
Mid grade stroker ($2000-$3500 recipes)(230hp-250hp)
High end stroker ($3500-$5000 recipes)(250hp-280hp)
Mega stroker ($5000+)(280hp+)

I build and program computers as a hobby, the only things i ever needed to formulate a recipe was "budget" and "intended use".......

Just my .02
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Mgardiner1 wrote:I think i'd break it down a step further (just to keep it a little more organized)

Have a few seperate threads (which was the intention of the Basic stroker and Performance stroker subjects....)

Stroker on a budget ($1000-$2000 recipes)(210hp-230hp)
Mid grade stroker ($2000-$3500 recipes)(230hp-250hp)
High end stroker ($3500-$5000 recipes)(250hp-280hp)
Mega stroker ($5000+)(280hp+)

I build and program computers as a hobby, the only things i ever needed to formulate a recipe was "budget" and "intended use".......

Just my .02
Thinking about it a little more today after i posted this the more i was thinking the same as you. Having seperate categories for each build (in the FAQ section) and then seperate threads for each part needed for that build. Im suprised no one else has chimed in yet...
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Well if anybody is going to make a FAQ that is as detailed and various as you are looking for, then it will take a long time to gather notes and material that a lot of us have gone through (and are still going through) that brought us to our decisions.

unfortunatly we don't all have dyno sheets, that would be kinda cool if we compared recipes to crank HP.

Maybe we should have 4 sticky threads started with the titles i mentioned previously, and have a criteria to follow. People can then post in the thread corrosponding to how much money they invested in their stroker? I dunno, i'm just tryin to help you come up with ideas....

As a side note, the FAQ section that is currently available on this web site is full of FANTASTIC information for all knowledge ranges... i learned and utilized the specs from the FAQ section here more then any other resource. Anybody can buy the parts they are told to, and assemble them. Some of us (myself being one of them, and there are dozens like me on here) want to understand the "how" part. Meaning, what is the effect of Lobe Seperation Angle if it is spread apart by another 4*. Then want to see what the effect of a few thousandths less quench along with and without that extra 4* of LSA. What does it do to HP/TQ curve? airflow? Dynamic compression ratio? Idle characteristics?

Research....research..... research.....
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

How about a parts list of some of the parts that are 4.0 exclusive. Like the 4.0 valves/springs. There are a lot of noob questions about what spring to run, or buying a complete cam kit with springs and retainers. AS far as I know the only spring retainer that will work with the 4.0 8 mm, 8 degree valve is the stock one or the mopar performance P4452032. I can take some measurements of both(outside dia, first step and inside dia.). Then find a spring that will fit the retainer and the short install height, 1.640, of the Jeep valve. Or just use the mopar performance P5249464 spring. It's good to .525 lift and has a moderate spring PSI of 270 lbs/in...Good for a flat tappet cam, it's a dop in spring and will work with most cam selection lifts. That is the best option without more machining cost.

The complete cam kits are for the 258. which used 11/32 valves and 7 degree retainers.

Cam options would be difficult. There are a lot of different opinions of what cam to run.

Another list could be rocker arms, who makes them and part numbers. Pushrod guide plates, pushrods etc.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yes i'll definitly agree to the springs/retainers being my area of least knowledge.... this is an area i DEFINITLY should have researched more on, but settled for and liked the MP springs you mentioned the best.

Also, tried and true, a lot of the more "popular" cams, do NOT make substantially more power then the original cam. If most noobs are looking to cut costs down and still have a solid performer, i think i'd recommend to stick with the original cam, or at least with a cam that does not have more then 5% lift then stock cam, and also reuse/replace original springs.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Locked due to lack of interest.