Cam suggestions?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
cherokee
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Cam suggestions?

Post by cherokee »

Putting together a mild stroker for my project MJ soon and I'm looking into cam options.

.30 overbore and KB pistons and I'm looking to keep the compression ratio down enough for 87 octane pump gas.

The truck is intended to be a daily driver.

Comp cam's cam suggestion program keeps suggesting their 68-232 and I'm sure there's more options than that.
98XJ 2dr. little lift, lotta skidplate
88MJ some assembly required
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Cam suggestions?

Post by SilverXJ »

If you want a comp cam a 68-231-4 will work as well, but I don't know what it will do for required octane.. i'll let you know in a few months though. Talk to Lunati, Isky and Schneider for good cams as well.
cherokee
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cherokee »

Thanks for reminding me of the other cam makers.

Checked Lunati first, found these listed: http://www.lunatipower.com/ProductGroup ... 287&cid=48
All for 199/258s... but the cam is the same correct? Just with an extra lobe for a mechanical fuel pump right? The lift for some of those also struck me as a little excessive, but I'll freely admit that I could be wrong and one could be perfect.

I was unable to find anything related to the straight 6 on Isky's website

Schneider's website provides choices similar to Lunati's along with some additional choices. But like Lunati's they all seem to be meant for the 199/258s. Some appear to have even higher lifts than Lunati's.

According to my current calculations I'll have a quench height of .079 (not really ideal), a SCR of 9.03, and a DCR of 6.66 with a stock cam.
98XJ 2dr. little lift, lotta skidplate
88MJ some assembly required
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Check with them about doing a custom grind or if they have any other grinds available.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

SilverXJ wrote:Check with them about doing a custom grind or if they have any other grinds available.
I will 2nt that!

Even tho the cam will fit and work just fine.............It could confuse the Factory computer, if the spec's are not picked vary carefully Taking to the cam manufacturer fist is a Wis idea.

Now, several have used the comp 68-231 and have had no problems with the factory ecm...........comp recommend the 68-232 for fuel injection (4.0L) six

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."