External inline fuel pump

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

External inline fuel pump

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Was toolin around in my 87 YJ today, and i could tell the fuel pump did not sound normal. Sure enough, when tac-ing my stroker out around 3K RPM at WOT, it completely dogged out like it was running out of fuel. So i gently brought her home. Back when i did my carburetor-to-renix injection 4 years ago, i used an electric pump kit from Hesco. I remember reading after i had installed it that a lot of people experienced failures after just 12 months of use. Needless to say i was not too surprised when mine started sounding cranky.

Anybody have any good recommendations on inline external fuel pumps? I ordered http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku but if people have bad experiences with that, or have personal experience and have 100,000 miles on one, i'd definitly like to hear about it.
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: External inline fuel pump

Post by Plechtan »

Are you using the factory regulator on the end of the fuel rail?
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
Mgardiner1
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 284 CI

Re: External inline fuel pump

Post by Mgardiner1 »

Yes, the fuel rail regulator is what i plan to use.... That is, as long as the pump does not over come it.

I think i'm also going to bypass the "Ballast resistor" According to the FSM, the cherokee had the resistor to run the pump at less then 12 volts to limit noise in the vehicle. However, the FSM said the wrangler had no provisions for that and runs 12 volts all the time. I'm wondering if running my old one at less the 12 volts caused it to get hot and prematurely fail.

I think i'll run the new one at 12v all the time
oletshot wrote:....and silvolites are only cast not hypericantspellits. :-)