Valvoline VR1 oil

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Valvoline VR1 oil

Post by dwg86 »

http://www.valvoline.com/products/VR-1% ... %20Oil.pdf

Check out the specs on the valvoline VR1 oil zinc .14 / phosphorus .13 This should be good for our flat tappet cams. I just bought a case of 10w30. I couldn't get it at autozone or advance. I got it from a mom and pop auto parts store. They ordered me a case yesterday, I picked it up today. $4.59/quart. If I could acually talk to someone witha brain at autismzone maybe they could order a case. They sell 20w50 on the shelf for $3.89/quart.

I acually made the mistake of asking someone at autismzone if they could order me a case. He acually punched in his computer the year, make, model and engine size of my Jeep and then said they don't make it for your car...MORON!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to leave before I hit him.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: Valvoline VR1 oil

Post by yuppiexj »

dwg86 wrote: I acually made the mistake of asking someone at autismzone if they could order me a case. He acually punched in his computer the year, make, model and engine size of my Jeep and then said they don't make it for your car...MORON!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to leave before I hit him.
Been there done that. I always look it up on line. and come in with a list of part numbers.

I've found Advance Auto Parts to be be the least moron filled parts slingers chain.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

VR-1 is a good oil. And like your research shows it has a lot of "good stuff" in it.

But I would ask that you do some research on "racing oils" and there properties. Typical RO (like VR-1) is missing a number of additives for an extend drain interval. One of which is the detergent levels.

Before this thread goes goofy like some recent ones. Do yourself a favor and learn more about your product.

I AM NOT saying not to use it. Just understand HOW to use it.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

It's my understanding that the VR1 has the needed detergents. The Valvoline conventional racing oil in the black bottle DOES NOT (As per phone conversation with Valvoline tech). The valvoline tech said the VR1 is good for my flat tappet engine and good for 3000 mile drain intervals

On the product information PDF, the VR1 states that " Valvoline VR-1 Racing Motor Oil is for use in any car, light truck, van, or SUV where API “SM” is recommended". The black bottle racing oil info... "Note: The Valvoline NOT STREET LEGAL RACING MOTOR OILS are recommended for racetrack applications only."

I'm not going to get into a long debate about "what engine oil is best for flat tappet engines". I have read WAY too many on the internet. I am NOT an oil expert or claim to be. I'm just sharing some info on my research. Take it for what its worth, do some research, make some calls, and decide what you are going to run in your vehicle. I'm going to run VR1. Nuff said.
:cheers:
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Good deal, I lumped VR-1 in with the typical RO`s.

Sounds like you may have hit a good product !! :cheers:
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

I was just on the phone with comp cams and he actualy recomened VR1 by name.
This is what I will be running in my stroker.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

The 10w30 is hard to find. Napa can get some for 4.99 a quart. I got a case from a local no name part store for 4.59/quart.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

My local Napa had the VR1 in 10w30 on the shelf... The bottles look like they don't sell very much of it. After I dumped the Joe Gibbs cam break in oil I used the VR1... still sorting out problems with the engine though.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I was talking with my machinist yesterday. He runs a drag car, and he uses VR1 20w50(good for drag car but use 10w30 for street). He tells all his customers to use Brad Penn or Joe Gibbs Breakin oil and then use VR1 oil for all flat tappet cams. He hasn't had cam any issues yet.
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »

If your concerned about detergent levels please have a VOA performed before jumping to conclusions, or believing the hearsay. VR1 has plenty of detergents to run in reasonable OCI. Its all about break-in, after that the massive doses of ZDDP are not necessary. There are many papers on this very subject, check out SAE for instance. FWIW SM oils are backwards compliant, and there are two, not one, but two flat tappet tests for SM oils. Not saying to use them for break-in, this is where most problems arise. You DO need the extra AW adds for break-in. Not trying to insult or start arguments, just simply saying consider the sources. :cheers:
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »

BTW all oils listed above are excellent oils.
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »

If interested there is a recent VOA of VR-1 10w30 on BITOG...I wouldn't think twice about running it for 5k mi!
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

cavaliers1323 wrote:If interested there is a recent VOA of VR-1 10w30 on BITOG...I wouldn't think twice about running it for 5k mi!

Do you have a copy or link to the info?
cavaliers1323
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by cavaliers1323 »

I'm on my phone right now, I'll post up a link once I get home. But if you go to bobistheoilguy.com and click on "oil forums" then scrol down and click on "Virgin Oil Analysis" under "Oil Analysis" you will be able to see it. Everything is titled by it's brand and viscosity so the title of this one is "Valvoline VR-1 10w30"