TexAcoon's Willys SW - Summer Project - Nebraska

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

TexAcoon's Willys SW - Summer Project - Nebraska

Post by Texacoon »

this morning it was 1 degree in my un-heated garage .. That's the reason you see [Summer Project]...

However, for those of you who would be interested in my project vehicle .. It is an early model 1950's Willys Station Wagon ...

YUP! it's does look a little ruff! ... BUT! It does not have rust holes [rot] being a Arizona vehicle! .. This baby only has slight surface rust [easy to sand down] which will make life easy for the restoration.

Plans are to remove it's body from frame - Clip the body to a rolling cart and work the bottom first with rust protection..

The frame replacement from a Jeep Liberty .. Why, you may ask?
Wheelbase is the same as the original wheelbase of the Willys 104" ... The other is making giving it an up to date engine transmission configuration using today's technology.

Hopefully the completed project will be an envy to other Jeep owners...

Here is what she looks like now.... Before Restoration:

Front View

Side View

Check out the cool fuel can holders! ..... These will stay and remain functional!

I will submit additional photos when the project starts.. My Willys will not arrive until late May due to winter weather in my area. I wanted to wait till then because of salt on the road and did not want any salt spray to start attacking the surface rust areas...
beakie
Noob
Noob

Re: TexAcoon's Willys SW - Summer Project - Nebraska

Post by beakie »

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Liberty a unibody, like the Cherokee was?
would make swapping 'frames' from a liberty somewhat difficult.

other than that, should be a nice project indeed.
cut me some slack, I am learning.
John
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Check out J20 frames to go under that.
John
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

beakie wrote:correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Liberty a unibody, like the Cherokee was?
would make swapping 'frames' from a liberty somewhat difficult.

other than that, should be a nice project indeed.

DAD GUM IT!

After you told me about that I had to check out additional info... Normally I would do all of my research before I start a project. In this case I only went as far as identify current wheelbase's and the Liberty was the only Jeep that had the same WB. However, didn't go completely through my research until you mentioned it... YUP! .. Looks like I will not use the Liberty after all....

What was funny after you left me this post... I had to go and look up more info on the Liberty ... Some web sites kind of put down the Liberty for not being a true JEEP! .. Because of the unibody structure... Well that was interesting...

The other frame I had in mine but was about 2" longer being the Grand Cherokee .. At least you can find these a dime a dozen out on the open market.... Not to mention you can get one with the 4.0 or the V8 ...

Once my Willys arrives, I'll be able to spend more time on gathering my measurements and information, this way I can honestly pick the right donor vehicle without too much brain damage .. :doh:

The F20 (Jeep pickup) is not what I would be interested in .. It's too old and too wide of wheel track for the Willys...
There is an acquaintance of mine who took a Chevy pickup and place the Willys body on it's frame..
OH talk about a chop ... He has hacked more parts off of the Willys so the engine will fit right so the wheel will line up with the wheel wells... Looking from the front of the truck .. The wheels extend approx 6" beyond the flat fenders.. It just doesn't look natural for the vehicle ...

Any ideas ... I would really like to hear from others about my project .... :banana:
beakie
Noob
Noob

Post by beakie »

Texacoon wrote:DAD GUM IT!
The other frame I had in mine but was about 2" longer being the Grand Cherokee .. At least you can find these a dime a dozen out on the open market.... Not to mention you can get one with the 4.0 or the V8 ...

Any ideas ... I would really like to hear from others about my project .... :banana:
Grand Cherokee is uni-frame same as the Liberty and Cherokee.
Now there is the Grand Wagoneer, it has a full frame, but is a little longer/wider than a Libby/Grand/Cherokee would be.

I would guess the simplest route would be to find a good frame from the same truck. Is there any reason you don't want to use the frame its on? I don't know much about them, but if they aren't already boxed frames, a little time and effort could get it boxed in and ready to go in a weekend or two. Seeing as the body only has some surface rust, and it being from Arizona I would think the stock frame is in ok condition ,and with a little effort could be better than new in a short time.

Best of luck on the project.
cut me some slack, I am learning.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

Hey Beakie, I will PM you .....
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

Why not get an LJ frame or take a TJ frame and add a stretch kit from clayton or another suspension company?
They have kits to make a TJ a 104" wheelbase...

Then you will have a true frame and loads of aftermarket parts for the suspension. The stretch kits are really easy to install.
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:Why not get an LJ frame or take a TJ frame and add a stretch kit from clayton or another suspension company?
They have kits to make a TJ a 104" wheelbase...

Then you will have a true frame and loads of aftermarket parts for the suspension. The stretch kits are really easy to install.

Now that sounds like an idea .. Thanks for the info .. Didnt know they had stretch kits on the market ...
Thanks!