AW-4 Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

AW-4 Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission

Post by Texacoon »

YUP! My 1990 Jeep has the Aisin Warner Automatic in it an I like it! ...

Yet I would like to get a bit more performance [snappy shifting] out of it without having to go to a standard tranny ... [That would upset the wife!] This would include mods to help handle a stroker I am looking into building in the next couple of months.

I have looked into transmission kits and can not find anything for the AW-4.
Does anyone know of or have any mods for this tranny?
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: AW-4 Aisin Warner Automatic Transmission

Post by amcinstaller »

i beat mine sufficiently (in my humble opinion) and i agree that if kept cold, it is a fine transmission. however, i think most of the mods for it are diy mods, found in a few different forums around. check on some sites like naxja, or maybe jeeps unlimited?/
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I know there is one mod on NAXJA that has some merit, but you need to take it apart and install some springs under a spring... i really don't recall all the basics of it. This is also a transmission used on Toyota supras and I think they can be modified so you may want to look into that. As far as snappier shifts I had the PCM modified on my 2000 XJ that eliminated torque management and it gave much firmer shifts.
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

The AW4 is indeed a Toyota box (used in Celica, Supra, pickup, RWD van, and some Lexus,) and is tougher than the hinges of Hell. I'd put it somewhere - in terms of durability and longevity - around a THM350 from GM (but not on a par with THM400 or A727 Chrysler.) Still, I've flogged a couple of them rather soundly, and the only problem I had with one wasn't the transmission's fault - I lost the bellhousing screws, and there was about an inch of daylight between the engine and the transmission. This bent the input set - again, /not/ the transmission's fault!

I don't know offhand how to get the "snappy shifts" you're looking for, other than putting the "Power/Comfort" switch in "Power" mode and leaving it there - but that may not be as "snappy" as you're looking for.

I do know that Level Ten (www.levelten.com, IIRC) does some internal mods for the AW4. Also, there is at least one "manual/auto" shifter available for the AW4 - you want to contact BrettM on NAXJA about that one (www.naxja.org.) He builds them to order, so it may take a little bit - but he's good about it all.

How hard did I flog mine? How about towing a 17,000# trailer 30 miles on surface streets? Beat Hell out of my brakes (and no-one but me believed I'd get that Ditch Witch to the shop so I could work on it!) but it got there. Didn't get it there fast, but I got it there! Even my boss was amazed (I was more amazed that I didn't run across any cops more than anything else. I /still/ don't want to think about the ticket I'd probably have gotten...)
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

Thanks Guys! ...

Looked into a couple of suggested sites that showed some mods to AW4. I wonder if these sites that sell parts realize we are under an economic crises [prices too high]? With some of the prices I saw, "I'll need a bail out to buy them."

After reading JP Magazine, April 2009, "Happy Rowing" Pg.34:
There was a section talking about transmissions.. It showed the AW4 being a good transmission but could not handle V8s or Stoker engines and can or does get hot when worked hard. The key word "Stroker" caught my eye - the other "worked hard -gets hot, which requires a larger cooler".

However, one site that was quite interesting was a mod to help increase pressure of the transmission and suggested any rebuilds to use Kevlar bands for longer life and extra durability (heat).

The other is to remove the valve body and add spacers to the two accumulators.

For additional info on this mod .. Check out http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5000301

Thanks for your feedbacks! .. Seems there has to be some transmission site out there who is taking the consumer for a ride with their pricing for mod kits! ..
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

You have to take anything from JP Magazine with a spoon of salt. Its a decent magazine but they frequently talk out of their asses and are just plain wrong.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

FWIW Novak doesn't really give it that good of a review either
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

WELL SHOOT! ...

Maybe this should be a different "thread" ... What JEEP magazines do you like to use for your ideas? ..

I find for the price of a JP magazine and the amount of information in there kind of leads me to believe there should be a lot more in it..

Yet did not know about watch out for some of their information ... Guess you could get into a trap real quick with some of their ideas....
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Full version of the mod refrenced earlier: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showth ... 5&t=267655

Its also called the A340 and used on Toyota, and Lexus as well.

From a brief google I found that they recommend running Toyota Type IV fluid instead of Dex III.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Texacoon wrote: What JEEP magazines do you like to use for your ideas? ..

I find for the price of a JP magazine and the amount of information in there kind of leads me to believe there should be a lot more in it..
No, I like JP, but you have to double check some of their information. I vaguely remember one other error they had concerning transmissions. IIRC they said the ZJ had the AW4 behind the 4.0L for its entire run.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

RAPTORFAN85 wrote:FWIW Novak doesn't really give it that good of a review either
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm

True! .. and I have seen this info as well .....
However, there does seem to be a few AW4 owners out there that really believe in their AW4 being a good automatic transmission.

Bullet Proof - You can still destroy anything using this term .. However, it's much better than standard configuration...

I would think like any automatic .. They are good until made better (bullet proof)... I would have to say something similar to the Chevy TH400 ... Standard yup! it's good ... Add the right parts bands, plates and shift kit .. Now you have something really stonger "bullet proof"...

In my area I do not know of any good automatic transmission guys that, (1) could trust - (2) give me a fair price on modifying a AW4.

Maybe one of you may know of someone who knows the "in's and out's" of the AW4 that could tell you ]us] what you can do to actually trick these things out and make them bullet proof (more or less speaking).
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Through all the Jeeps I have owned with the AW4 the only item that I have never had to repair or modify on any of them was the AW4 transmission. They all had over 170,000 miles when I was done with them. The only thing I did to the one on my 2000 is add a transmission cooler.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

SilverXJ wrote:Through all the Jeeps I have owned with the AW4 the only item that I have never had to repair or modify on any of them was the AW4 transmission. They all had over 170,000 miles when I was done with them. The only thing I did to the one on my 2000 is add a transmission cooler.

NOW THAT's GREAT TO HEAR! ....
What brand and size cooler did you add?

Thanks!
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

I concur with SilverXJ...I've only replaced 1 out of 5 transmissions in my various XJs.

The only reason I replaced it was:
1. I had one laying around and
2. When I swapped the engine (which I also had laying around) I pounded the transmission pump swinging in the 4.0 and it would whine really bad, there where filings in the ATF, I drove it like that for 6 months and only swapped it for a quieter one.

The "new" transmission had 170k miles on it, was pulled from a rollover wreck and stored under a porch for 3 years before I got it. I made no effort to drain it other than replacing the transmission pan gasket.

going on 55K more miles.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
Texacoon
Donator
Donator

Post by Texacoon »

yuppiexj wrote:I concur with SilverXJ...I've only replaced 1 out of 5 transmissions in my various XJs.

The only reason I replaced it was:
1. I had one laying around and
2. When I swapped the engine (which I also had laying around) I pounded the transmission pump swinging in the 4.0 and it would whine really bad, there where filings in the ATF, I drove it like that for 6 months and only swapped it for a quieter one.

The "new" transmission had 170k miles on it, was pulled from a rollover wreck and stored under a porch for 3 years before I got it. I made no effort to drain it other than replacing the transmission pan gasket.

going on 55K more miles.

OH MAN! .. That sounds like you can just pour sand in place of ATF and they will keep on ticking ...LOL! ..
That's great to hear! [little abusive] but great to hear! ...

Well maybe there is really nothing you can do with these and leave them like they are .. They sound to be already as "bullet proof" as they can get from the factory ... Other than adding a quality cooler to it..
Guess I will check out to see what B&M has .. An may look into changing only the filter, gasket and use Royal Purple ... I have really liked Royal Purple in all of my vehicles! .. It has to be one of the best oils on the market ...

Unless I get another surprise like I did about JP Magazine.... LOL! ...