Tool rentals on forum?

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Tool rentals on forum?

Post by SilverXJ »

Once my engine is finished I will have a few tools that I won't be using for a while. One of which is the lifter bore grooving tool, which I put up for rental in the for sale section. I will also have a push rod length checking pushrod, a degree wheel and a dial indicator deck mounting bracket that I would be willing to rent out. I would have liked to rent these myself, but I know of no one that has these tools, especially the lifter bore grooving tool. I don't want to sell these tools outright as I may use them again, but seldom, in the future. I have done this sort of thing on a Jaguar forum for the cam timing chain installation tools and it worked out great for other members.

What I propose is charging the replacement cost for the tool, then refunding that minus a shipping charge and any other charge you feel necessary for your time/effort/tool maintenance when the tool is returned to you. When shipping insure for the tool's value, so in case it is lost in shipping the user is not responsible for the lose. Some tools such as my lifter bore grooving tool are a bit expensive to replace and that is why I I would ask for the full amount on that tool prior to rental. Myself I will not rent out measuring instruments such as torque wrenches, dial indicators and calipers.

Anyone else interested in doing this? Maybe making it a sticky with the tools one has to rent out?
eliv1
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"

Re: Tool rentals on forum?

Post by eliv1 »

sounds to me like a great idea and an amazing step for this forum and community!
88 CJ8, 4.5L Stroker ,P&P Head ,Compcam 68-231-4 cam , 4.0L Junkyard MPI , 99 Intake, Borla Header,2.5" Flowmaster + piping,Electric Fans;SUA 4" lift on 33" tires ;4.11's Dana 44 F&R LockRight , High Steer with CTM's ;OBA;Full Cage.