4.6 Stroker build..pics included

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.6 Stroker build..pics included

Post by seanyb505 »

Not quite sure what the measurements are, I think if you told the shop you need x cc they would know what to do, but I bought these dished so Im not sure.

No strong leads, which is lame cause every place says they are hiring, just not me. I think as soon as I can get a job for a month or so the build will be back underway.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Well I got a break after a 2 and a half weeks: a serving job at a local mexican restaurant - Taco Bell....jk its some upscale joint. Anyway, hopefully this will work out so I can continue the build. The problem now, is that Im trying to move be the end of the month. Otherwise, the engine would be out tomorrow. Or whenever I could get around to it.
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I spent a year in Costa Rica(I left the states 2 weeks before the 9/11 BS) and that experience has totally ruined it for these American girls--I am totally into Latinas. Anyhow I'm sure you'll have fun working there.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

lol I dont think Ill be getting involved with anyone there Im dating the perfect girl right now..she keeps asking me when were going to start building the engine.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Couple updates: Im back to the buying game(even though I havent been paid yet lol) I spent about 175 dollars on tuneup stuff, all new plugs wires cap rotor Mopar oil filer water pump, all new hoses, etc..I ordered stock replacement pushrods and pilot bushing from Monicattichrysler.com. They had cheaper prices than anywhere I could find. The only part I have left to buy is a new stock valvetrain, bridges pivots and rocker arms. It would be 75 dollars for all replacement vs. 400+ for roller rockers. Ill do it later. After that I will have spent $1773.17 on basically all new parts that can be bolted to the engine.

I think the Jeep knows its getting a new engine, it broke itself to the point where I cant drive it anymore. I was pulling out of a parking lot yesterday and the motor mount brakets which bolt to the engine snapped off! There is nothing supporting the right side of the engine so I had to have it towed home. I was planning on starting to pull the engine in two weeks when school is over and I had moved, but apparentlythe Jeep is fast tracking the project! I still have to wait, but it gives me an excuse to actually get the engine out of the bay.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

seanyb505, do you have a way to measure across the flat on the camsaver lifters (caliper or micrometer) or are they in the engine already? I've got a few extra standard lifters and I am going to try putting a flat on them.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

No, I dont have any calipers or fine tools, sorry. I think they make special tool for doing something to the lifter bore to achieve similar results. If I had to guess I would say the flat is around an eighth of an inch.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Sean, bet that if you look at it, you will find several attaching bolts missing and one that strips or broke off. You could, if you want, scrounge up some bolt and put it back on the road for a week or soo.

After all, your going to need them, for your stroker any ways. Glad to see your stroker project up and running again :cheers:

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
seanyb505
Donator
Donator

Post by seanyb505 »

Yeah I pretty much knew what the deal was when I looked at it. I couldnt really see into the bolt holes, so I dont know if I have three bolts with no heads stuck in my engine yet or not. I think that or having the holes stripped out would be the worst case scenario. How would I go about getting bolts without heads out? If the whole are stripped can I re-tap the holes in the side of the block? Im not concerned if the bracket is damaged, I think that would be fairly easy and cheap to get from a junkyard.
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

seanyb505 wrote: I think the Jeep knows its getting a new engine, it broke itself to the point where I cant drive it anymore. I was pulling out of a parking lot yesterday and the motor mount brakets which bolt to the engine snapped off! There is nothing supporting the right side of the engine so I had to have it towed home. I was planning on starting to pull the engine in two weeks when school is over and I had moved, but apparentlythe Jeep is fast tracking the project! I still have to wait, but it gives me an excuse to actually get the engine out of the bay.
ive had that same problem before. i was pulling through an intersection when it happened. distributor landed on the motor mount.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

seanyb505 wrote:Y How would I go about getting bolts without heads out? If the whole are stripped can I re-tap the holes in the side of the block?
you would have to drill the broken bolt to fit a spiral screw extractor. they have a reverse spiral from a standard drill bit. if you get them out you wont have to retap unless they are stripped. it can work but when i tried to do it to my block it broke one of the bosses for the motor mount bracket. not much material around the hole closest to the front. ive seen other style brackets that use the unused holes further forward from the bracket.

bombproof brackets $250 a pair
John
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by John »

Have your machinist remove those broken bolts when he has your block. You will thank yourself, and if you don't have the tools already, it may be cheaper. Brown dog also makes motor cradle brackets that utilize those additional holes in your block.
John
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

have a link for brown dog?

anybody have an idea what those unused holes were put there for?
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

The drill is called a left hand drill. If you want to try it and can't find any, I could snail mail you a 3/16". That's the largest I have and I have a couple extra's so no prob sending you one. When your lucky the break is pretty clean and the piece of bolt is loosely in the hole, as the head that was putting the tension on the bolt is gone, and it easily threads out of the hole. Unfortunately I'm rarely this lucky, and because they where carrying the weight of the motor when they/it broke, I doubt you'll be this lucky either. :(
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

seanyb505 wrote:No, I dont have any calipers or fine tools, sorry. I think they make special tool for doing something to the lifter bore to achieve similar results. If I had to guess I would say the flat is around an eighth of an inch.
Thanks anyway.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.