4.0 Ticking

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

4.0 Ticking

Post by dwg86 »

Well My 4.0 in my 2003 wrangler started ticking pretty good. It has 104,00 miles. I bought it brand new and started using mobil 1 at 18,000 miles. I didn't know about the low zinc in oil until a few months ago. So I don't know if I have cam going bad, or maybe rockers, or both. This is my daily driver. The only vehicle I could use for a spare is my 1979 401 cj5. It's a blast to drive, but with 10.5:1 compression and 8-10mpg it wouldn't be very practical to drive everyday. So its time to speed up the stroker project. I have been gathering parts here and there when a get some overtime and a few extra bucks. I have everything I need except roller rockers and an oil pump. I took 1 of my the 12 wt standard cranks to the machine shop to be turned along with the 258 rods and 21cc dished hypereutectic pistons for balancing. The block will be going to the machine shop early next week for boring and a zero deck.

Has anyone done the distributor drive gear oiling mod. Is it neccasary?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 4.0 Ticking

Post by SilverXJ »

I haven't heard of anyone doing it, but from past research it appears that a groove is cut in the base of the distributor housing to drip oil on the gear. I thought about doing it on the my cam sensor (no dizzy on my rig) but there was already a flat spot on the body for the oil to drip down. Perhaps it is the same on the distributor?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Has anyone seen or have a picture of the distributor oil line mod?
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Still can't figure out what's ticking. Sounds really bad when the engine is cold, and it's real faint when engine is warm. Once in a while I can't even hear it.

I am getting my stroker together and ready just in case my 4.0 craps out. I took the block to the machine shop today for a bore and zero deck. Got some good news on the 12 wt junkyard crank. The rods journals are perfect and don't need turned, just polished. The mains were turned .010. The only reason the mains were turned was the #1 main was .0015 under.

This engine was suppossed to be for a Jeep Brute that I am going to build, but will put in my DD 03 Wrangler. This is a short rod engine with hypereutectic pistons. The next stroker I build will be a long rod, KB forged piston engine(for the Brute).
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Post by yuppiexj »

dwg86 wrote:Still can't figure out what's ticking. Sounds really bad when the engine is cold,
sounds more like a cracked exhaust manifold, mine does that.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I'll check it out. Thanks
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Muad'Dib »

Definitely sounds like a cracked manifold. By chance even when it gets warmed up does the ticking come and go with no relation to the engine? Thats a problem i'm having and cant figure it out (already replaced the manifold). I could have sworn it was my injectors (thats where the sound is the loudest with a mechanics stethoscope), but i swaped them out with some ones that looked very new from the Junk yard, and still have the same issue. :?
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Heck
Donator
Donator

Post by Heck »

Mine ticked (loudly). I built my stroker. It still ticks. Oh well. As long as the internals stay that way, I'll ignore it.
I NEED MORE TORQUE!

'03 Rubicon w/4.6: kb944 pistons, late 70's 4 weight crank, Mopar P4529228ab cam, 240 dur./.430 lift, barely polished head. First fire 11/14/08, no mechanical issues so far.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Muad'Dib wrote:Definitely sounds like a cracked manifold. By chance even when it gets warmed up does the ticking come and go with no relation to the engine? Thats a problem i'm having and cant figure it out (already replaced the manifold). I could have sworn it was my injectors (thats where the sound is the loudest with a mechanics stethoscope), but i swaped them out with some ones that looked very new from the Junk yard, and still have the same issue. :?
Yeah, it does come and go. But when it's warm, when it does tick, its still not as loud as when its cold. The engine always runs smooth. It's hard to see the exhaust manifld, so my next days off I will use a mirror to try to locate a crack or bad gasket. It does sound like its coming from the lt side of the engine.

On a positive note...it gave me a reason to get the stroker together(kitchen clearance from the wife). :banana: