Block Selection

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
USMCGunner

Block Selection

Post by USMCGunner »

Hello all. New to the site. Should have figured this type of site would exist. lol. I didn't see an introduction forum, so I'll briefly do it here. Name is Scott. I live and work in Northern Va as a firefighter. As the s/n implies, I'm a former grunt. I got into Jeepin about two years ago and recently decide to tear down everything that I've built up and start over. I have a 95 YJ Sahara that is in pretty good shape. I was going to swap in a SBC 350, but my brother talked me out of it. Then one of my fellow jeeper buddies (94 YJ) mentioned he was researching a stroker. Until then I had only heard of a stroker. But we've decided to both put strokers into our YJs and tag team both projects if you will. So now I'm researching and have luckily found this place.

So now to my question. We have a unique opportunity to select and build up a stroker without having to touch our stock engines. The plan is to leave our jeeps alone and slowly build up some donors then just swap, plug and play. What blocks or more generally Jeep models, offer the best candidates for a stroker donor and why? From the reading that I've done so far, I know that there are differences between various years, but being so new, I have no idea what is better than another.

Thanks.
yuppiexj
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.5 needs assembly

Re: Block Selection

Post by yuppiexj »

Here's where you'll find the component FAQs. viewforum.php?f=27

I'd recommend finding a running Cherokee on craigslist... there was one in Bealton with no title for $500

I'm just down the road from you.
TurboTom wrote:i will eat my words later if need be.
TurboTom wrote: Not sure of your rules...but you need to start with an engine that works best for the rules and cheat from there!
Proud owner of many stroker parts, that have not yet spontaneously assembled themselves.
USMCGunner

Post by USMCGunner »

Hey, thanks. I looked through FAQ's but didn't see what engines to look for. Guess I should look harder. Are you on any of the local forums?
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

I got a 2001 core from a junkyard for $200.00 You have to watch the years, the later blocks have different cast in bosses, so your accessories may not fit. I prefer the 2000 and up WJ block with the casting number ending in 028. It has thicker cylinder walls, the thrust side is in excess of .300 This may not be important unless you intend to make a very high performance engine or what to bore to 4"
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
USMCGunner

Post by USMCGunner »

My two main concerns at this point are the plug and play factor with a 95 YJ wiring harness and the accessories. The third factor that is a mild concern is stroke-ability, as in best performance outcome. I'm really trying to weigh the cost vs benefit here. It's looking like to do this right, it'll cost a couple grand. My other option is that I have a 86 SBC 350 4 bolt out of a suburban that only has 88k on the clock. HP for HP, this would be a cheaper swap, although there are the compatibility/fit issues. Oh, and that the 350's torque is a little higher in the rpm band. Another item that weighs heavily, is that no matter which block, I'm going to swap out my TF999 for a 700r4 for all of its benefits. Once again, associated costs being considered, no adapters would be needed for the 700r4 swap should I go with a 350. Then there is the gearing. What gearing shold I select or should I say, how do you figure out the final gearing based on the projected engine output given a tire size range somewhere around 37"?

I am officially in Jeep Limbo. :banghead:
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

Well that's up to you what engine to run. There's no doubt that a V8 jeep is way cool and SBC parts are cheap. Some things to consider witha SBC swap...Emissions, will it pass? Do you have a 700r4, and does it have a transfer case? How long is this setup(rear driveshaft problems)? New front and rear driveshafts? Engine mounts, transmission mount, exhaust, accessory hook ups(pwr steering, alt, air cond., starter). Fuel injection or carb?

You can do anything you want with time, money, welder and a torch. And I'm not trying to discourage you in any way. I have a 400HP, 401 in a lifted fiberglass CJ5. It's a blast to drive. But if money, or time is a main issue, I'm not sure how much cheaper, if any, a SBC install would be.
1bolt
Donator
Donator

Post by 1bolt »

First off welcome to Jeepstrokers, Do I recognize your nick from NovaJeepers?

The beauty in the 4.0 stroker is bolting in a much more torquey "square" (close to 4" bore and 4" stroke) engine that litterally can be dropped into the same engine bay... No aftermarket parts needed, same drive line, same mounts, same engine managment system, same wiring etc. And in the end the peak torque output of the stroker can match or even exceed that of comparable (stock late model over head valve) small block V8's.. often... or I should say USUALLY with better low and mid range torque and very similar horse power. Of course this comment does not include the newest generation of small blocks... but those often have a hefty price tag even for a rebuild core ($1000 plus). Or hopped up performance built small blocks.

I would think any 4.0 block will be fine for any normal build. I would want a later NVH (noise vibration harshness) block if I was doing something special simply because it is probably stronger.

There's no weak link though... there's no years to avoid, with the sole exception of the 0331 heads that had cracking issues. A normal off road build could use any block and any 258 crank. I would try to include the later 99+ intake and a nice set of longer tube headers. Something with primaries as long or longer than the Borla long tubes are the only off the shelf headers I would bother with, most of the rest have primaries that are too short to make a real seat of the pant difference in low torque.

If you have most of the components for a 350 swap, yeah it will be a hp for dollar winner... it will be less convienant and require changing a lot more. But if you want over 200hp with cheap and easy availability of parts to make even more it'll be the way to go for sure.

Performance building the 4.0 is more expensive and making 300hp while possible is definitely on the exotic side for parts and costs.
--
Simon
Looking for a 232 crankshaft see my want ad: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... =17&t=1292
http://www.jeepstrokers.com 94 XJ Stroked lifted locked. 89 MJ restored Work truck, 88 YJ going on third build up and second Stroker.
RAPTORFAN85
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by RAPTORFAN85 »

This guy is selling a loaded block from a '95 for $25...

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... p?t=493837
"Strrrrroke me, stoke me...."

Billy Squire
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

damn, all the best deals are always too far away from me. :doh:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.