Oil pan Gasket leak question

For all non stroker / performance related problems and discussion.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Oil pan Gasket leak question

Post by Muad'Dib »

A bit of history first.

I have replaced the oil pan gasket about 3 months ago.

When i replaced the pan gasket, i had a stipped hole for one of the two front most bolts that hold the pan on that go into the timing chain cover. Needless to say i had an oil leak here. At that time, i thought it would be a good idea to tap that hole slightly bigger. It worked, and held up well. If your farmiliar with the one peice gasket for the oil pan, it has metal rings that go in each of the rubber bolt holes. When i did the taping, it screwed that ring up.

Later, i decided to replace the timing cover so i could have it all bolted the right way, and since my timing chain had never been replaced i figured it was a good time as any.

I did the work, and changed the cover etc.. Now since that ring wasnt there anymore, when i tightened the bolts for the oil pan, it caused the rubber gasket to stretch. Its been fine for awhile now, but now im gettin a leak in this area.

Here are some pictures: (sorry for the crappy ones i took them real quick at work with my camera phone)

My question is this...
If i drop the pan slightly in the front, enough to push the gasket back in correctly, and use some black RTV, will it start leaking again because that metal ring is gone? Should i instead just plan on pulling the pan again, and replacing the gasket all over again?

Thanks for your time.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Re: Oil pan Gasket leak question

Post by Shark »

what oil pan gasket is this? i am unfamiliar with the one piece gasket with the metal rings. my last 2 one piece gaskets didnt have the metal rings you speak of. im not sure what the second to last gasket manufacturer was but the last one was victor reinz. the 2nd to last one was pushing out from between the timing cover and pan like in your picture with minimal leak before i replaced it due to another problem.

maybe the gasket material became lubricated with oil when you replaced your timing cover and that caused the front of the gasket to slide out from in between without the metal ring to help it stay in there.

i would replace the gasket after throughly cleaning the gasket surfaces to ensure the gasket sits properly.
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I was afraid of that .. i hate pulling the damn pan.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Clay
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by Clay »

oh Good, Im not the only one to mess up one of the holes in the timin chain cover...Mines still leaking slightly up there, waitin till the summer to fix it...stinks to have a rebuilt engine thats dropping oil..Well was my first build, suppose thats not a bad problem to have compared to what I could of done wrong when building...You can try the RTV I suppose, but clean the area really good first..If it starts to leak Id replace the gasket (RTV might be a pain to remove though?). Clean gasket contact surfaces to get rid of any oil or whatnot..
-Clay

'96 Jeep Cherokee, Lifted and Stroked. 4.6L
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

Clay wrote:oh Good, Im not the only one to mess up one of the holes in the timin chain cover...Mines still leaking slightly up there, waitin till the summer to fix it...stinks to have a rebuilt engine thats dropping oil..Well was my first build, suppose thats not a bad problem to have compared to what I could of done wrong when building...You can try the RTV I suppose, but clean the area really good first..If it starts to leak Id replace the gasket (RTV might be a pain to remove though?). Clean gasket contact surfaces to get rid of any oil or whatnot..
I agree, the key to success is a clean, Dry surface that the pan is bolted back up to and RTV will have a much better chance

Take the extra time in the cleaning prosses and you should be fine!...........don't over torque, just snug the bolt!
There is basically no pressure there so they don't need to be that tight.

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I guess ill have to re-do it.. oh well needs to be done anyway. Just as i said i hate pulling the pan. Maybe this time ill replace the oil pump also :roll:

BTW this is the gasket i used (felpro):

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDeta ... 03&PTSet=A
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

I read on NAXJA that you'll be using the oil pump rebuild kit. Post an opinion of it, as I was considering using that kit also. I really need to inspect my pump before I decide, but since I had no signs of oil pressure problems, I thought it may be an inexpensive why to get a "sort of new" pump. Then again, as I type this I find myself wondering if this is a good place to save money.

Ahh what the heck it's only the oil, right. :doh:

Anyway if you use it, let us know if it seems like good quality.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

oletshot wrote:I read on NAXJA that you'll be using the oil pump rebuild kit. Post an opinion of it, as I was considering using that kit also. I really need to inspect my pump before I decide, but since I had no signs of oil pressure problems, I thought it may be an inexpensive why to get a "sort of new" pump. Then again, as I type this I find myself wondering if this is a good place to save money.

Ahh what the heck it's only the oil, right. :doh:

Anyway if you use it, let us know if it seems like good quality.
I dont think im going too, only because i dont have another vehicle to go to the parts store to get either it or a new pump after pulling it. I dont want to get the kit if i have wear in the housing.
oletshot
Donator
Donator

Post by oletshot »

Well, good luck with the gasket.
I'm not clever enough to have a clever signature. I'll just steal yours.
'98 XJ 2-door, '94 YJ.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

oletshot wrote:Well, good luck with the gasket.
Thanks, i did end up just getting a new pump..

Got Vaseline?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Quick question also. When i put the cover back on, it squished some of the good ole petroleum out a bit. Is this going to cause some integrity issues with the gasket?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Muad'Dib wrote:Quick question also. When i put the cover back on, it squished some of the good ole petroleum out a bit. Is this going to cause some integrity issues with the gasket?
According to a few NAXJA members, they said it would be fine. If anything it would help seal that gasket a bit more. Also, its not like that cover gets torqued really tight... its something like 70in pounds.

Anyway, i got it all done this weekend.. I wonder why i was leaking??

I saw this also... i think it may have ripped when i removed the pan because i didnt have a leak at the rear.. but hey you never know!:

All done and so far no leaks... i hope i dont ever have to do this job again for a very very long time!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

Muad'Dib wrote: i hope i dont ever have to do this job again for a very very long time!
hows your rear main seal?
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

tigerShark wrote:
Muad'Dib wrote: i hope i dont ever have to do this job again for a very very long time!
hows your rear main seal?
Beautiful. Was replaced not too long ago. I've never had a leak in the rear since i bought it.
5-90
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by 5-90 »

Muad'Dib wrote:Quick question also. When i put the cover back on, it squished some of the good ole petroleum out a bit. Is this going to cause some integrity issues with the gasket?
Nope. Done it dozens of times, never had any trouble. I don't know if it helped any, but it certainly didn't hurt anything.
Kelley's Works in Progress - http://www.kelleyswip.com
KWiP Parts Exchange - http://www.kelleyswip.com/exchange.html

"I don't think any of us will ever forget Louie. Ever since the explosion, there's been a little piece of him on all of us..."