XJ to TJ 4.0 Block Compatibility

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Jeb1993
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ/TJ

XJ to TJ 4.0 Block Compatibility

Post by Jeb1993 »

Well...I'm apparently not the sharpest pencil. I bought an engine to build into a stroker before I bought the TJ to put it into. I was tempted by a local sell of a 4.0 block/head/intake - with engine stand and engine hoist - all for $250. So naturally, I leaped before I looked. I tore it down and that went pretty well except for the seller handing me a box of mixed bolts and nuts that they took off when they were pulling this motor to swap in another one. Probably about 50 different unknown pieces of hardware - but I'll save asking for help to identify those after I solve first problem. One thing at a time...right?

Anyway..the block was reported to be out of a 1998 XJ and has casting #53010341. In looking that up, it seems that is accurate and that this block would be compatible with 1997-1999 TJ's. I've read through that info on this site. I just want to make sure my reading comprehension is good and that it is 100% compatibility - and not it'll work if you can fabricate enough. I'm wanting it to be a drop in solution.

In hindsight, should have bought the Jeep first - but was sucked in by a cheap price. Oh well, learning lesson. I'll try to be coachable - and appreciate some guidance to keep me from making a compound error of buying the wrong year TJ to be compatible with this motor.

ps..I've talked to Russ about a stroker kit. Super guy, very helpful. Leaning towards doing the 4.2 mini. I just need to find a 232 crankshaft. If anyone has one or a lead on one that would be appreciated.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: XJ to TJ 4.0 Block Compatibility

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Jeb,

In the search for a 232 crank you’ll be looking for the later 72-79 with a casting number 3214722.

The earlier 64-71 232 cranks had a flat crankshaft flange
75SV!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 75SV! »

Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

None of the 232 cranks are cheap anymore. Many have already been used to build 4.1/4.2L mini-strokers so they're becoming pretty scarce.
75SV!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by 75SV! »

There's another on Ebay. $275 plus shipping of $125. Includes bearings. Yeah, shipping kills a lot of deals. When I bought mine it was in Pittsburg. I negotiated the shipping cost to actual shipping cost. So, $60 about 3 years back. It did also include bearings. Unless the OP has a RENIX block, then either see if the seller would delete the main bearings or substitute ones for an HO Block. Also, with the new KB pistons, keep an eye out for a 258 crank. I scored one a few years back for a good price. I picked it up in PA, as I travel to Harrisburg a few times a year.