New stroker want to be!

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Bmac
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ5

New stroker want to be!

Post by Bmac »

Hey guys....I have a 1973 CJ5 with a 232. I am going to build a stroker and the question is, keep the 232 or find a 258 and start from there. I have read enough to be completely confused. I know the 232 and the 258 are the same block with different internals. Read using a 4.0 head is a must. I need a game plan and help getting started and I would appreciate everyone's input and assistance. I have wanted a long time for this jeep and can't wait to put my finger prints on it. Thanks! Bmac
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: New stroker want to be!

Post by amcinstaller »

For the most displacement, you want to use a 4.0 block with a 258 crank. Your 232 crank can be used for the milder recipes shown on Dino's site.

The other thing you need to decide is if you are wanting to add fuel injection or not. The strokers built here are using fuel injection by their jeeps were born with it. You may be able to add it if you're willing to do the work.

I can't recall if the 232 mounts are the same as 258/4.0, for my AMC Spirit I reused the 258 mounts to hold my 4.0 while getting the fuel injection working, and the stroker will finally be going in early spring

You may be served well to see if you can find a good donor jeep first, that way you can salvage as many drivetrain parts as possible. That way you're less likely to be caught by the little things that swaps like this present (starter/flywheel matching, mounting accessories like PS Pump and alternator)
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
Bmac
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ5

Re: New stroker want to be!

Post by Bmac »

Thanks amcinstaller!!!!