Modern EFI (Holley Terminator) installation made simple-ish

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
RJTimmer
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: X/TJ

Modern EFI (Holley Terminator) installation made simple-ish

Post by RJTimmer »

I started this project about 6 years ago with a serious case of pissed off. While on trip to Moab in 2017, i had a few issues with my rig...
The trip started out with a Broken rear locker (easy fix, but still very annoying) on day 1. On day 2 my Jeep backfired and stalled on Hells Revenge, and would not start. Thank goodness it was up on top a falt section of slab near Mickeys, or it would have been far more annoying to diagnose. Diagnosis - Bad Crank Sensor. Installed spare. She started and ran, but not good. Day 5, went out to start the old girl after breakfast... she sputtered to life slowly, then stalled at Campsite. Would not restart. Trip over. Missed out on the plast 3 days of wheeling.
Prognosis after diagnosis at home, a bad ICM. I waited 3 weeks for one to arrive at the local Napa. If that had happened day one, I would have been out the entire trip.
I have since fought slow start/long cranking, and cannot for the life of me get it running well, or starting as quickly as is did before. Yes, i did run through ALL of the applicable items in "Crusier54 True Tales from the Book" for the renix system. I even built an entirely new wiring harness, then replaced all the sensors with known working units... no change. Fuel Pressure = GOOD, all injectors were swapped one at a time. no change. It still runs, but feel way down on power, and is not as lively as it once was. I yanked the now over 20 year old stroker out and found NOTHING wrong internally. It was clean and just a loose as i built her back in the early 2000's.

It sucks to have old techonoly that had less than a 1% saturation rate for use in vehicles 30 years ago. Parts are getting harder to find, and are very expensive when you do find them. It also sucks to have EFI you cannot fine tune to your particular engine. It sucks to not have the diagnostics as easily as the OBD2 vehicles (yep, my stroker ran the Renix), that can readily tell you where to look for the root of the issue at hand.

These challenges are what pushed me down the road I am on now; Installing modern and readily available sesnors/parts, and a largely supported aftermarket ECU into my Stroker. I used the following questions to guide my search...
- What are the most common engines in North America? The LS of course, if not on top of this group, its right up there.
- What engine family is the undisputed engine swap king of the world? The LS
- What engine has the most aftermarket support? The LS
- Who has one of the most user friendly and easily confugurable EFI systems out there? Holley.
- What EFI system has the largest user base? Holley
(You all seeing a pattern here)
So that began this project, use as many OEM/OEM replacement LS family sensors as possible, and tie that to the Holley Terminator X series EFI systems.
Just a 5 decade old kid who plays with his "toys" as the wife says...
RJTimmer

Re: Modern EFI (Holley Terminator) installation made simple-ish

Post by RJTimmer »

The subsequent posts will walk my adventrues after choosing the Holley Terminator X system, to where i am today. After securing all the required Terminator compaticble LS sensors, i went to work designing the parts i would need.

I Started with a Throttle Body, Intake, and related items.
I am using GM12586790 & GM 10379038 for the actual TB & TP. These obviously do not directly bolt to the intake, but i can buy them at the O'Riellys down the road... so they fit the build criteria.

Step 1, design & manufacture TB Adapter (87mm bore)

Step 2, Modify Intake (in this case, i will be using the Renix intake. But this adpater fits up to modified HO intakes too.

Step 3, Mount TB...

From here i moved on to injectors, fuel rail, clamps, fuel pressure sensor and wiring harness. The pictures show an HO intake from an O1 iirc. But again, the same TB & Adapter works on both series intakes, once modified.
Step 1, Layout and machine Fuel Rail
I did not take mfg picutres of the FR... sorry... When i make Rev 2 i will be sure to take some.

Step 2, Design, machine, and stall Clamps

Install Injectors, Rail, and FP Sensor adaptor and fitting. I used a piece of #10 fuel rail extrusion and a parker hydraulic fitting to make the rail and sensor fitting. (Shown on HO Intake)

Modify Holley LS Injector Harness, Install IAT and MAP Sensors in modified intake. (I need to finish modifications to the harness to clean it up. This will not be done until i have this assembly migrated to my jeep, off of the test engine)

This covers the intake, and related sensors and actuators... On to the CKP and CPS....
RJTimmer

Post by RJTimmer »

CKP & CPS

These were a trick... I orginally wanted to use an LS Crank Sensor, and will continue to shoe horn one in there. THe problems arose with the off angle bracket, and the main body diameter. I was not able to cleanly and conveniantly mount it into the factory CKP location. The other issue that came up was the OEM Jeep reluctor pattern. None of the OEM patterns are congruent with the options available with the Holley Terminator EFI systems. So... time to make a reluctor...

Step 1, Find a sesnor that works... (12m prox switch, readily available and inexpensive from an industrial automation supply company. I used a gear tooth speed sensor with a 5-30 v operating range. Added the appropriate connector and there we have it.. For the reluctor, i went with a 60-2 format, modfied an OEM Flywheel, and pressfit the reluctor on in the appropriate orientation.

Step 2, Laid out the sesnor location, made up a mount to bolt directly into the OEM CKP holes.

Step 3. CPS. I chose NOT to use the OEM CPS for this engine, because what better place to carry a spare CKP, than in the CPS... (I have proved that the OEM CPS does work with the terminator ECU, but it needs an adapter to get to the holley harness. This set up does use the OEM Jeep CPS Base & Oil Pump Drive from a COP ignition 4.0.

Now for the little things... CTS, OPS, O2, Coils & Mount, and Knocks. These are all fairly easy, with simple adapters for the OPS and CTS, and a fairly easy bracket that is in process for the coil mount. Once i get the Coils mounted up, i will post pictures of that.

I hope to get the Fuel Pump Module set up and wired this week, as well as powering up the ECU and verifying all the other wiring and sensor function. Afterwhich, i am hoping some of you can help me out. I am looking for base AFR and Ignition timing tables based on manifold pressures for these little I6's. I am less optimistic about finding someones aftermarket 4.6 stroker tables, as i am for finding a set of OEM tables for the HO engines. However, i will take what ever i can find. even if they are screenshots of other systems, or if by chance someone has Holley IFC's from a sniper install.

My base engine is .06 over, ported Renix head, Crane Cams (RV Torqure maybe) Advertised Duration 260°/272° @.050 204°/216° .456/.484 lift, 9.2 static compression with dished pistons.

Any one have anything that may be useful for this as a base/starting point? I am NOT a tuner, and this is my first go-round with stand alone EFI. I have played around with "flash" programmers and the ol "trick the ECU with resistors" things.. but they are nothing compared to what will have to happen here.

Also, if any of you would be interested in any of these pieces i made for your own project. Reach out to me via DM or email.
RJTimmer

Post by RJTimmer »

alright... being my photohosting skills are abismal, and i seem to not be able to edit my post...

Lets try this again..

Design it

TB Adapter

Modifing Renix Intake

DWB TB on Renix Intake

Fuel Rail Clamps

Injectors, Rail, FPpsi adapter & sensor, Inlet fitting, injector harness (modified holley LS), IAT, and MAP

Post 3
60-2 Reluctor on FLywheel

CKP Sensor & Mount on Bellhousing in hactory location

CPS & Cap

CTS, OPS

Now that i have that fixed up.....