Clearwater 0331 head valve spring issue

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
carlost11
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: lj

Clearwater 0331 head valve spring issue

Post by carlost11 »

Hello All,

Hope to find a solution on here. Bought a head from Clearwater (new 0331 casting with the big valves and upgraded springs) and the machine shop Im using is telling me that the springs only have 35 thousands bind clearance with the cam Im using which is a comp 163-301-5. The machine shop is telling me I need different spring in order to gain at least a 60 thousands clearance. I called clearwater and they are telling me that those are the springs that they have been using for over ten years with no issues.

So, not having enough knowledge into this issue, who is wrong and who is right. Is 35 thousands clearance on stroker ok? or should I look for other springs?

If other spring is the better route, what springs to use? and if anyone on here has had this issue as well.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Fender0509
Stroker Displacement: 4.6l

Re: Clearwater 0331 head valve spring issue

Post by Fender0509 »

Hey I also got this head and I think I need to take it to a machine shop as well. Thank you for the info about the spring clearance, I haven't even gotten to looking at that yet. I have heard from some forum surfing that Clearwater might not be a ton of help in sourcing different springs.

BTW - If you haven't noticed yet, the aluminum Crown valve cover wont clear the springs. I have not tried the stock valve cover yet. I am running ARP studs, not bolts so I can take a closer look if you need it.

When I took a valve out I noticed there are no bronze guides - pretty sure they just reamed out the core and stuck valves in it.... One of my exhaust seats looks messed up - like it wasn't seated correctly before they did the valve job. And the number of boogers in the casting is high - like huge sharp edges from sloppy casting...

I too am interested if anyone has experience using this Clearwater "performance" head