What's the deal with Eagle and Scat connecting rods now?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
2grimjim
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: LJ

What's the deal with Eagle and Scat connecting rods now?

Post by 2grimjim »

I recently bought a set of Eagle conrods from a company that sells stroker kits. I originally ordered the Scat rods and the seller contacted me and wanted to know what brand pistons I was using. I have a set of DSS forged pistons that can be used with a floating pin and the Eagle rods were not bushed for floating pins, so that's why I ordered the Scat rods. The seller said the CPP pistons used an oversize piston pin and that the Eagle rod they would sell me was for the CPP pistons, but it was for a press fit piston pin. I went ahead and ordered the Eagle rods. When they showed up, I wasn't really impressed with the quality of the forging and I got on Eagles website to see if they listed more than one part number for the 6.125" Jeep rod. Eagle list two rod sets; the SIR-6123JP, and the SIR-6123JPL. No indication on their website what the difference is. The set that I received was the SIR-6123JP. I emailed Eagle and explained what I had (the CPP pistons with a pin that measured .9313").

Eagle replied and said: "the SIR-6123JP rod is press pin and has a .931 pin size. the SIR-6123JPL rod is press also but has a .9305

Hope this helps.

I decided to keep them for another build, and then I went looking for the Scat rods. Seems that no one has these in stock, but they were available directly from Scat. I ordered a set directly from Scat, and when they showed up and I unboxed them, the piston pin bushing measured .9277", about .004" undersized! I tried calling Scat and never could get anyone to answer the phone. Nothing but crickets on emails. No mention on Scats website that you have to finish size the pin bushing.

I grabbed my Micrometer and started measuring every Jeep 258 and 4.0 piston pin I could get my hands on and they all measured between .9311 and .9313

I don't understand what's so difficult about making a connecting rod that works with this pin. The CPP piston pin is no different size than anyone else's piston pin, so the first seller straight up lied to me, or maybe he was being half-truthful by not stating the Scat piston pin bushing needed to be finished sized.

I don't get what's going on with either of these companies. I think I'll just choke down the cost of a set of custom CP/Carillo rods on the next build if neither Eagle or Scat can get their shit together.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: What's the deal with Eagle and Scat connecting rods now?

Post by Russ Pottenger »

I don’t have personal first-hand experience with the Eagle rod but I do with the Scat.

Several years ago Eagle was making a rod if my memory serves me correctly in a 6.150 length with a .912 (289/302 Ford) pin diameter.
I wasn’t aware that they were starting to make a Rods Again for our Jeeps.

The Scat connecting rod is 6.125 with ARP 8740 3/8 cap screw Rod Bolts bushed for a .927 Chevy diameter wrist pin.
This is the rod that I use in my Stroker kits that I match up with a Racetec piston made to my specifications.

You’re more than welcome to reach out to me directly

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]