O2 DTCs think i know my issue?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Desertau
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler R

O2 DTCs think i know my issue?

Post by Desertau »

I have a 2006 tj rubicon with a 4.6 Golen built stroker, oversized throttle body, shorty headers installed by a local shop recommended to me a little over 2 years ago. It was a rough beginning I had unconnected ground straps, intake manifold leaks and an aftermarket radiator plus all old sensors transferred to the new stroker (I specifically requested all new OEM) after sorting all that out no issues.

Passed the next smog no problem drove fine and still does, this last 8 months I drove the Jeep on just a few road trips daily driving my wife’s car sitting I had an almost dead battery a few times eventually replacing it with a new interstate group34 AGM. With my smog test approaching I attempted a drive cycle to set emissions and started getting o2 sensor DTCs I tightened the exhaust flanges, replaced all o2 sensors, smoke tested the intake and exhaust, switched in a new MAF, switched PCM (I have two) checked wiring and voltages, and checked fuel pressure at the rail eventually taking it to a shop.

They found a small intake leak (I sure didn’t see one) and I gave the go ahead for a gasket change, they also found the injector seals leaking while spraying cleaner (possibly misdiagnosed intake leak here?) and changed the injector O rings. My Jeep was still throwing codes and fuel ratios were erratic lean coming to a stop then slowly settling down to normal (by wide band o2 sensor down stream bank 1) other than that it drove great.

I could not clear the emissions before triggering
P2089 so I changed the new bank2 downstream sensor and tightened all the loose valve cover hex bolts eventually modifying the PDC wiring as outlined in TSB 25-005-13 for p2096-98 issues. Now all the emissions cleared except evac driving the first mile and the erratic fuel ratio settled down eventually too the evap monitor had also cleared and the Jeep passed smog easily. All my driving before smogging had been light throttle. I then did WOT from stop and high speed freeway driving eventually triggering a MIL with P0133, 0153 and 2098 DTCs.

It seems to me the injectors are not able to supply enough fuel under high demand based on everything in total so I just ordered the Clegg 6 hole 24# injector set specified for the 2006 4.0 (stroker) and hope this is the final solution. I am ATM running slightly hotter spark plugs 12’s versus 9 heat range due to availability but now have a set of 9’s on hand I’ll swap in, Golen recommends 9’s champion copper and 24# injectors.

What do you think, am I missing anything? Is there something I’ve overlooked?

Thank you in advance for any comment or suggestion.
Desertau
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle Model: Wrangler R

Re: O2 DTCs think i know my issue?

Post by Desertau »

My new Ford 24# 6 hole injectors are in and the stroker is running great with no check engine light so life is good.

Shout out to Clegg they airmailed at no extra charge i had them a couple days ago they were individually packaged and looked brand new, id buy from them again. The TSB 25-005-13 was an easy job and made a huge difference getting the smog done my emissions all reset really fast if you vehicle is 2005-06 its worth doing.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: O2 DTCs think i know my issue?

Post by Cheromaniac »

Glad you solved your problem and you're a happy camper.
Get it right and a stroker will reward you with so much pleasure. I was fortunate to enjoy mine for 12.5 years and 86k miles before I sold the Jeep.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen: