Help with Cam and varieties

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
Rustywolf
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Help with Cam and varieties

Post by Rustywolf »

Hi guys,

New here, I'm Collecting data and parts to build my first stroker, and first engine build.

Long story short, I have a YJ that had a 258 Nuttered, dyno'ed it, then 4.0 7120 and Dyno'ed (can share results if interested), then an Edelbrock head that was supposed to get Dyno'ed and didn't get that far. Had a loud tick, thought I'd replace lifters, followed instructions to a Tee, wiped lifters and lobes with some new weird intermittent heavy knock. Replaced Oil Pump, timing chain, cam/lifters (Melling stock, nothing crazy), water pump, fan clutch, etc......... wiped cam and lifters again with same intermittent loud knock!!!! I'm very active on JeepForum and we couldn't figure it out. Whatever. I get ripped off on a used 4.0, but it runs now, lol.

Ssssssoooooo..... I have a 258 with an Edelbrock head and a bunch of new accessories sitting on a stand, which seems to naturally beg me to make a Stroker, lol.

As you can see, I'm twice bitten, 3 times shy now. I wanted to do a roller cam like Rick Mudge once did, and I've read on here around 2008-2009 there was talk about them, but that seems to be it? Was it just not worth it? Didn't perform as it should've? I really wanted a roller cam because I'm scared of break in now, not gonna lie. Reached out to Russ, he advised against it, not sure why, but I know he has his reasons I'm sure. ----Russ, yes I am going to buy your Edelbrock Pistons, lol. Just need a block and machinist to see how much resizing is needed.

What are some other options for Cam longevity? WPT treatment? Nitriding?

Any help is VERY much appreciated. This engine will be built more for Longevity and strength than HP/TQ. I would do a 4.0, but I mean, I got the crank right? Might as well stroke it.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Help with Cam and varieties

Post by Cheromaniac »

505 Performance did produce and sell their own roller cams but I think they were discontinued due to a combination of reliability problems and low demand.
Russ has his own custom grind that's a variant of the CompCams 68-232-4 with a lower valve lift that'll allow you to use the stock valve springs. That's all you need if you're happy with the stock 5250rpm rev limit.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Rustywolf
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Help with Cam and varieties

Post by Rustywolf »

Ah, ok, that clears up some things, thanks!!

Yeah, I'll probably see if I can get Russ's Cam and then do a WPT or Nitride treatment to help out the break in.

I currently have a 4.0 in my 89, unsure of year, but has the girdle and I'm fine with 5,200 rev, I actually never go above 4,200 even if I'm romping on it. I'm rocking 31's and as far as I know a stock rear end and it's plenty power now. This is why I don't feel the need for a super duped up engine. Edelbrock head, Russ's pistons and cam, unsure about piston rods, probably stock 4.0?

Any suggestions on a cam coating? Any more tips than engine build lube, break in oil, 2k RPM, etc?