1986 CJ7 Harness / Early 1998 4.0L HO Harness questions

Dedicated forum for all things electrical... Sometimes Electrical issues can really get you stumped! Not Stroker related.
Ewingfox
Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

1986 CJ7 Harness / Early 1998 4.0L HO Harness questions

Post by Ewingfox »

Hello!

Years ago I found a thread here (I swear I did!) that went deep on how to marry the early 1998 4.0L HO harness with a stock CJ-7 harness, including details on how to wire up the fuel system for a 4.0L FE HO swap into a CJ7. I had just started making my CJ7 a little less dumb (and possibly less fun - we'll see) - by removing the warmed over 454ci that sat in front of my SM465 and D300 and getting the motor/trans bolted up and installed in my CJ when some health issues got in the way of me of finishing the project, predominantly a brain injury that has really limited my troubleshooting skills and attention span. I'm still driving and off-roading, but my health situation really means I'm trying to button up projects and simplifying things for my family since I'm not really sure what's going to come next for me. If things turn around, step 2 will be to stroke the motor next winter.

A good buddy of mine is helping me wrap up the swap but electrical work isn't his forte - it had been mine (sigh). Now I'm just a dummy who can hold a flashlight, do basic mechanical stuff and burn metal together decent. I've been searching the forum for that build log with all the wiring details and can't find it. Apologies in advance, it could be right in front of me and I'm just not seeing it lol.

If someone can point me to a good build blog\thread with the details I need - I'd really appreciate it.

If one doesn't exist - here are my specific questions:

What wires from the Stock CJ-7 harness do I need to use to power the engine harness, energize the starter and provide power to the fuel pump?

The engine harness I currently have is from the 1998 4.0L HO which had an Automatic trans - I'm using my SM465 but was told this works fine (please correct me if this is not so!)

The fuel pump is the Novak Adapters in-tank unit
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/fue ... uel-module

I write a lot of documentation for work so when this is all said and done I'll make sure to provide a really solid technical writeup which I'll be happy to share with the forum.

Thank you in advance,

Ewing Fox