4.0 Head work and cam questions for a 4.2

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
H3lping
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

4.0 Head work and cam questions for a 4.2

Post by H3lping »

I have a 4.0 7120 head that I'm planning on putting on my 89 4.2 with the 4.2 intake and carb with 4.0 headers.
Were sending the head to a shop to have it ported and polished, checking valve seats and seals, and selecting a beefer cam.

I was wondering if there is anything else we should have done to the head such as bigger valves (LS1) or different springs as well as looking or recommendations on a camshaft.
This is mainly going to be a street jeep with the occasional rock climb. Any info is appreciated!!
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Re: 4.0 Head work and cam questions for a 4.2

Post by amcinstaller »

Your cam selection will dictate if you need to change springs. If not, prolly just leave em. On my 0630 head I used LS valves, and comp beehive springs, pn's:
26981 springs
774 retainers
623 locks

These are comp cams parts
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
H3lping

Post by H3lping »

amcinstaller wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:37 pm Your cam selection will dictate if you need to change springs. If not, prolly just leave em. On my 0630 head I used LS valves, and comp beehive springs, pn's:
26981 springs
774 retainers
623 locks

These are comp cams parts
Thank you @amcinstaller, ill probably end up going with that same setup.

I was only thinking of if it would even be worth going with ls1 valves on a 4.2 head swap rather than a stoker build. Sounds like you cant go wrong with more air no matter what!
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

I searched for a long time trying to figure out what parts I needed for a LS valve setup. For my stroker I have 2"/1.55" LS valves and the parts mentioned above. Glad to help
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
H3lping

Post by H3lping »

amcinstaller wrote: October 17th, 2023, 4:16 pm I searched for a long time trying to figure out what parts I needed for a LS valve setup. For my stroker I have 2"/1.55" LS valves and the parts mentioned above. Glad to help
Do you think going a LS valve setup will be worth it as I'm just putting the 4.0 head on my 4.2 bottom end? or should I just stick with stock valves?
If I were to put LS valves in, I can imagine it needing quite a bit larger cam and bigger carb.
I'm just trying to wrap my head around what a 4.2 bottom end would actually utilize.
amcinstaller

Post by amcinstaller »

I had to have the seats cut, the guides reamed, and then figure my springs. After that, I brought it back and had them cut the spring seats for my install height. I needed additional spring cutting because my comp 239 cam has more lift.

If you were to keep the cam and carb there wouldn't be much point to do all that