'05 block longterm build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: '05 block longterm build

Post by dwg86 »

If you are using it in a 1997, I would get a 0631, or 7120 head. The 1997 exhuast will match up to the ports. The exhaust ports are different on the 0331 head. You should be able to get a 7120, or 0631 head pretty cheap from a local junk yard.

I dont know if larger valves are worth the money it cost to install them, if the engine is going to be used for low end torque. You could use the valves out of the 0331 head since they dony have many miles on them.
beakie
Noob
Noob

Post by beakie »

dwg86 wrote:If you are using it in a 1997, I would get a 0631, or 7120 head. The 1997 exhuast will match up to the ports. The exhaust ports are different on the 0331 head. You should be able to get a 7120, or 0631 head pretty cheap from a local junk yard.

I dont know if larger valves are worth the money it cost to install them, if the engine is going to be used for low end torque. You could use the valves out of the 0331 head since they dony have many miles on them.

true true, I actually have a new Banks header here for my '97 replacing the Banks I have in it (warranty replacement) I had forgotten about those ports matching up properly.

Well than, I'll have to strip the 0331 head and start looking for a 0631... I don't want to pull the one off my current engine since it will be on the road during this build up.

just for skit and bibbles, would porting the 0331 head to enlarge the exhaust, matching the later gasket/header be a benefit at all, or would the work of removing all that material just be too much for too little gain?

thanks for all the help, its nice having plenty of time to gather parts and hopefully save some coin here n there on deals, instead of fixing everything in one weekend and spending whatever the store charges for what you need. I must say, buying a DD car was one of the best things I ever did for my Jeep habit!!
cut me some slack, I am learning.
beakie
Noob
Noob

Post by beakie »

so I have the chance to pick the following parts up for $200 total... sound like a good deal?

UEM-2229 0.060 over pistons
Sealed Power Performance Piston Ring Set
4.0L/4.2L Clevite Main/Rod/Cam Bearings

all above for $200Cdn

sadly I missed out on some yella roller rockers and 4.2L "707" Casting Connecting Rods, which were about $360 total just for those.

either way since this is a long term project I figure those parts for $200 isn't bad, start a little ticker trunk for the goodies over the months, till its go time.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

That price seems like a good deal(it's almost like getting the bearings for free). Ask oleshot if you want them silvolites dished.
beakie
Noob
Noob

Post by beakie »

thanks, I may end up doing that, but I'll have to find out about shipping cross border and all too, that could add up back n forth.

the guy who sold them to me, said he'd email me the program to have them dished, which I know nothing about, but I would guess he may know someone who can do it.

the part collecting has started... ooooh this could get dangerous!!