Balancer fits without spacerr?

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
mrtappan
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Balancer fits without spacerr?

Post by mrtappan »

So while test fitting my balancer on the 4.2 crank...... it seems it just fit without the spacer. I ordered a 4.0 cherokee balancer (because that was what the engine came out of). From my understanding those don't fit without the spacer. Pics included. I have the spacer but everything lines up perfect without it. Am I understanding this wrong or did I accidentally get a 4cyl wrangler balancer? I believe those are supposed to fit without the spacer.

Also, it is a 4.2 crank just in case that comes up. The year 4.2 it came out of was unknown. I just bought it from a guy that pulled it doing a v8 swap and didn't ask any questions since I was using it for a core. The crank hit the girdle big time without the spacers and I had to clearance the oil pan with the old hammer, test, repeat method.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Balancer fits without spacerr?

Post by Russ Pottenger »

The early 1970 to 1986 258/4.2 engines had the longer 2.500 snout.
87 to 90 had the 2.000 snout. As long as your snout doesn’t protrude beyond the dampener it’s lookin like you might actually have the later crankshaft therefore not needing the spacer.
Just make sure your dampener is pressed all the way in engaging the crank timing gear.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by IH 392 »

The spacer goes on the outside, and as Russ stated, depending on the crank it may or may not be required.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Russ Pottenger wrote: August 1st, 2023, 12:18 pm The early 1970 to 1986 258/4.2 engines had the longer 2.500 snout.
87 to 90 had the 2.000 snout. As long as your snout doesn’t protrude beyond the dampener it’s lookin like you might actually have the later crankshaft therefore not needing the spacer.
Just make sure your dampener is pressed all the way in engaging the crank timing gear.
This man's nailed it.
The 4.2 cranks from 72-86 had a 64mm snout whereas the 4.2 crank from 87-90 had a 54mm snout (same as 4.0 crank). Aftermarket 4.2 cranks are exact copies of the 87-90 crank.
It appears that you @mrtappan have an 87-90 crank that doesn't require a 10mm thick spacer (fits in front of HB as @IH 392 stated) to prevent the HB from walking forwards.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Just figured it out just now but it looks like the you purchased your spacer from me.

Welcome to return it back to me for a refund.
mrtappan
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by mrtappan »

Yes, I got my spacer from Russ. Although it looks like it isn't needed. I assumed I had an old style crank because I was pretty sure the 4.2 came out of a CJ7. Regardless, it's obviously the short style. I measured the Distance to the gear from the tip of the crank (just at a glance) with calipers. The depth of the pulley was almost the same. I didn't read the numbers, but they were so close it obviously wasn't using the spacer.

Now I'm in the fuel pump pump dillema. So I'm off to research that. Mine has a plastic tank (stock) but I want to run an internally regulated pump. By internal, I mean in the tank with no return. If possible, of course. I liked the Holley pumps even though they are pricey. The Novak pumps look terrible to me with the regulator outside the tank returning to the vent fitting. Any other companies recommended? Worst case scenario I can simply buy a tank/pump combo but I am hoping that's unnecessary.