First Stroker Build

Newbies, and basic Stroker Recipes... Get started with your first stroker here!!
LJBean
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: LJ

First Stroker Build

Post by LJBean »

Bought my LJ new in '04 and have loved every minute of ownership. It was my daily driver for 10 years so I've managed to accumulate 300K+ miles on it. Still runs well and doesn't burn oil, but seems to have lost spunk. Over the years I've done quite a bit of mods, but not too extreme. Adequately built to run 35s and still streetable, but sure would like to enjoy some more spunk. I've messed with differentials and rebuilt my transfer case, but have never done an engine rebuild. I am mechanically inclined, though, and would like to give it a go.

From what I've read, it looks like I'm wanting a low-budget 4.6L with SCR around 9.6 so I can still run pump gas. Not interested in E85. I'd like to run stock computer without tuning, if possible. Planning to collect parts to make it a winter project. My budget is pretty flexible - expecting to spend $2-3K. Let me know if I'm crazy.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: First Stroker Build

Post by Cheromaniac »

Your $3k budget is realistic for a low buck 4.6L build, but you'll definitely need to have the ECU retuned to optimize the fuel curves and spark timing.
Russ Pottenger can supply you with the parts that would be best suited for your build, so I suggest you send him a PM.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
LJBean

Post by LJBean »

Cheromaniac wrote: July 21st, 2023, 11:28 pm Your $3k budget is realistic for a low buck 4.6L build, but you'll definitely need to have the ECU retuned to optimize the fuel curves and spark timing.
Russ Pottenger can supply you with the parts that would be best suited for your build, so I suggest you send him a PM.
Sorry - Low buck, not necessarily "low budget" :doh:

I'm willing to delve into retuning the stock ECU to dial in the performance. Should I be concerned about mileage on the block or head if I'm doing a full rebuild?
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

At a minimum the cylinders will need to be rebored/honed and the block deck checked for flatness.
The head will also need to be checked for flatness and milled if necessary. The valves will need to be lapped to provide a tight seal.
When you consider that a complete Golen 270hp 4.6L stroker engine costs over $7k and it's basically a close replica of my 4.6L low buck recipe, you should come out way ahead.
LJBean

Post by LJBean »

That's what I was thinking. Would it be best to have the block/head machining done before ordering cam and pistons just in case block decking and/or milling the head is necessary?

Also, I'd like to hear thoughts on port & polish. I'd invest in P&P if it makes a material difference for this build, but I don't plan on spending much time above 4,000 RPM.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here

Post by Cheromaniac »

Ask the machine shop to measure the bores with a micrometer to determine how much they'll need to be overbored to make them round and true. You can then order the pistons from Russ, take them to the machine shop and, with pistons in hand, they can bore/hone the cylinders to the correct PTB clearance.

The choice of cam won't be affected by any required block or head milling, but you might need shorter pushrods depending on how much material is milled.

Porting the head will definitely release a few ponies. Gains of 15-20hp are possible, and nearly all of the performance gain will be above 3000rpm.
LJBean

Post by LJBean »

Great info. Thank you!

Thinking I might start looking for a decent 4.0L to start with so I can build the stroker on the side. Would be kind of cool to keep the original block and head with the Jeep, though.

Still on the fence on P&P, but I've got some time to think about it.
LJBean

Post by LJBean »

OK, I'm back after a long hiatus. Still wanting to stroke my 4.0 over the winter, but needing to understand the appropriate steps in the process. Sounds like step one is to remove the engine, strip it down to the block and take the block and head to the machine shop to check for necessary milling on the block and/or head and required cylinder overbore. Due to mileage on the engine, I plan to pretty much completely rebuild the head.

Based on the desired specs in my first post, are there any parts that I can begin to gather prior to the machining work?
Tonyt22
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1993

Post by Tonyt22 »

LJBean wrote: September 25th, 2023, 5:49 pm OK, I'm back after a long hiatus. Still wanting to stroke my 4.0 over the winter, but needing to understand the appropriate steps in the process. Sounds like step one is to remove the engine, strip it down to the block and take the block and head to the machine shop to check for necessary milling on the block and/or head and required cylinder overbore. Due to mileage on the engine, I plan to pretty much completely rebuild the head.

Based on the desired specs in my first post, are there any parts that I can begin to gather prior to the machining work?

If your not going with a kit like something from cleggs
I'd start hunting down a 4.2 crank, and whatever oversized pistons you decide ,injectors, sensors,hoses,motor mounts,etc .
and once the machine shop let's you know what size bearings you'll need I'd order the whole rebuild kit
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

LJBean,

Welcome to shoot me a email and I’d be happy to spec out a stroker kit that will consist of premium parts and still allow you to run a stock tune. If you’re able to source out a 4.2 crank that will further help you to stay within a tight budget.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
LJBean

Post by LJBean »

Russ Pottenger wrote: September 26th, 2023, 9:40 am LJBean,

Welcome to shoot me a email and I’d be happy to spec out a stroker kit that will consist of premium parts and still allow you to run a stock tune. If you’re able to source out a 4.2 crank that will further help you to stay within a tight budget.

Thanks,
Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California 91790
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email: [email protected]
email sent